Transmission Leak turns into a Vibration when fix'ed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2000, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission Leak turns into a Vibration when fix'ed!

G__ D___ no good S__ of a B____ Ford Service!

My automatic transmission developed a front pump seal leak and I took it in to get it fixed. I dropped the truck off on Monday AM. By Wednesday the service manager admitted the seal hadn't been replaced as he was having to wait on the one and only lift they had capable to lift my truck (f-250 CC Short Bed 4X2). He expected to get it done on Thursday. Thursday he called back and the seal had been replaced. Once the door/seal rattle was re-installed on Friday I could pick up the truck.

I stop Friday at the end of the day on my way home and pick it up. First thing I notice is the radio scan problem was fix'ed but now the radio has a volume control problem. Now with the rush hour traffic on the two lane roads I head home slowly thinking about having to call Monday and arrange for the radio to be fix'ed again. Once I get about half way home I'm able to get up over 40 MPH.

I now start noticing a vibration in the truck. I speed up and it gets worse at 50 MPH. At 60 MPH I can swear I can hear the vibration!

Now I'm starting to get steamed! I get home and have to run the kids to school, still steaming. Once I start reading through the service I find they not only replaced the seal but installed a re-built converter! Now I'm even madder! I didn't have a converter problem, at least not that I knew of, but then again it could have damaged the seal and caused the leak.

The service order reads:

CONCERN: 51 TRANS FLUID LEAK FROM FRONT OF TRANS AREA SEE NOTE
CAUSE: LEAK
CORRECTION: RESEAL TRANS
51-1 TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY - REMOVE AND INSTALL OR REPLACE
51-2 TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER AND/OR COOLER LINES - FLUSH
51-3 EXTRA TIME FOR POST ROAD TEST. (AFTER REPAIR)
51-4 OIL LEAKS - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - DIAGNOSIS
. PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION
. FMC XL3Z-7902 CARM *CONV ASY-TRAN REMFG
. FMC* E9TZ-7A248-B SEAL ASY-TRANS FRT P
. FMC* FOTZ-7153-A KIT TRANS GSKT & SEA
. FMC F6TZ-7A098-BB FILTER & SEAL ASY-TR
. FMC XT-2-QDX FLUID TRANS
. 010 OIL DYE

Now I'm thinking the re-built converter may be bad and causing the vibration, and I get even madder!

After I finish supper I decide I'm going to check out the drive shafts. When I found the leak I marked the transmission bolts to be able to verify that they indeed drop the tranny and replace the seal (in stead of just adding a stop-leak) and I also marked the drive shafts and yokes to make sure they were re-installed in the proper alignment due to the balanced nature of the shafts. On the Crew Cab's the rear drive shaft is two piece with a carrier bearing. The two shafts are a balanced matched pair!

Well believe it or not the "Tech" (Mr. Brown) didn't re-install the shafts in line!

I didn't even see any signs that they even marked them! I'm sure glad I'm smart enough (experience from being raised on the Farm you know real life school, and a Mechanical Engineering Degree, yep Engineers can't spell) to know to have marked the shafts!

But I've got to tell you, the service shop had better be wearing there lead lined kevlar vest on Monday! I can't believe they made the repair and did a test drive and couldn't feel the vibration! This is a large dealer and has many service bays and lots of tech's!

After a total warranty charge of $1,245.70 for all the items the truck was in for (leak, radio, rattles, etc...) you'd think the service could be done right!

Radio was "Repaired?" and now has a new problem!
Drive Train now has a bad vibration!

I'm afraid to look at the other fix's!

Thanks,
Will
------------------
2000 F-250 SD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, 4X2, V-10, Auto, 3.73LS

[This message has been edited by wawii (edited 04-07-2000).]

Old 04-09-2000, 04:35 PM
Unhappy

Thanks for listening to my venting, here is what I've found.

Traveling at 55 MPH and dropping into neutral the vibration still exist, so I'm convinced the drive shaft mis-installation is the issue.

I'm dropping in on the service dept. at 6:30 AM when they open tomorrow and will expect to pick it up on my way home that very same day. I'll let you all know if they fix the problem(s).

Old 04-10-2000, 09:06 PM
Thumbs up

The Dealer Service Dept. wouldn't/couldn't say much when I took the truck in this AM. The truck is back home now after having the drive shaft re-index'd, and the radio works properly.

Thanks for listening to my venting.

Old 04-11-2000, 06:19 PM
Is the vibration gone?

I have happy tales about my dealer's service department. I took mine in last week because the clutch slave was starting to sing. Got it back three days later and they replaced the clutch, pressure plate and slave. The work was top quality. Even the numbers on the shift **** are pointing in the correct direction.

Most dealers do have top quality mechanics and service advisors. Mine certainly does.

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe.

DAMN FLEXING DOOR CRACK!

Ford Engineering, reinforce the curve in the door! The cracks will stop.

Old 04-11-2000, 08:38 PM
Arrow

Bill,

Sorry, yes the vibration is gone. I've since found out that since I used a high volume sales dealer, I also got one with a lower quality service depatment that is overlooked by Ford because of the high sales.

I'm glad you are having good luck with your service. This is my third local Ford dealer in four years. One lost our car, one butchered the fender inner liners, and now this one dosn't follow procedure on removing/installing a tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak turns into a Vibration when fix'ed!