speedo recalibration for 99s

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2000, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speedo recalibration for 99s

has anyone done a gear swap on a 99/00 f 150?I have an appointment set for tuesday to put 4.10s in my 99 off road and have discovered that speedo recalibration is no longer accomplished by changing the vss gear but all dealerships in my area have NO idea how to recalibrate the new speedo's HELP

Old 02-29-2000, 06:28 PM
If your speed sensor is in the rear end housing, there is no need to recalibrate.
If it is on the trans tailshaft then there is. Search the message database under "reluctor" it should tell you what you need to know.

Old 02-29-2000, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... JARRETTRUELZ88 : I had 4.10 gears installed in my "99" F-150 4X2 at my dealer. My V.S.S is located on the rear end housing. There is no way to recalibrate the speedo mechanically when the V.S.S is located there. The only way to recalibrate the speedo is by a computer adjustment. My dealer found that you can't recalibrate the "99" F-150's computer with their computer cards. The only way that I have found to recalibrate the speedo is from MIKE TROYER at PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS. When I talked to him last he told me that SUPERCHIPS can adjust the "99" F-150's computer to compensate for 3.99 gear ratio. That is as high as the "99" F-150's computer has been preset for. So with our 4.10 gears the speedo will still be off by about 3-5%. That is still with-in factory specs. Remember that yours is a 4x4 and might be slightly different than mine. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP.

FUTURE MODS : JBA headers, ASP power pulleys, twin electric fans, traction bars, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, POWERAID spacer, AUTO METER oil preasure/ engine temp PHANTOM GUAGES and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.
ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 310H.P / 405ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 03-06-2000, 07:24 PM
Talking

You can get it done but you will have to be creative:
I went from 3.55 to 4.1 in my X , in 1999 and newer you have to recal the computer. A dealer by me tried twice and failed. 3rd time they let me drive the computer. It seems that the program displays all ratio options but would only accept factory ratios. So in my case the only option that would work was 3.73. So that is what I did. NOW lets get to the fun part you also have to provide tire rev per mile. So My X has the 17” tires that are 2” higher than the 16” so I calculated the revs per mile for the 16 and chose that option. Yes it worked but it is off 3% “Better than 17%”. I would have liked to give it a second shot but the dealer was getting upset with me programming my truck. Everyone was watching !! Ford for whatever reason has made it difficult to do this trivial task. “BTW the computer at the dealer needs the Nov. update”!!! So where I am going is if you put big tires and change you ratio you’re not reeling going from 3.55 to 4.1. The bigger tires reduce your ratio. So you or the dealer has to get creative for this. The truck great with the new ratio but it is a pain in the a##. So good luck and if you need any other info I have a fax from ford how to get in program mode with their computer.
Don

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 03-07-2000, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... RDSII : I tried that with my buddy that is the computer tech at my dealer. My trucks computer would'nt even except the 3.73 recalibration either. I'm just going to send my superchip back to SUPERCHIPS via MIKE TROYER and have it recalibrated by my chip the right way.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP.

FUTURE MODS : JBA headers, ASP power pulleys, twin electric fans, traction bars, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, POWERAID spacer, AUTO METER oil preasure/ engine temp PHANTOM GUAGES and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.
ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 310H.P / 405ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 03-08-2000, 08:57 AM
Neal

The dealer has to have the nov update. I have the instruction I can fax to you. Mike offered it as well to me but I like the computer to do it and not the chip. I'm concerned that there my be issues with ford. Don't get me wrong I love the superchip and mike is great.

Quick Reply: speedo recalibration for 99s