Overdrive "off" upon start-up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Overdrive "off" upon start-up?

Guys (and gals). I have a 93 F-150 with theh E40d. And as many of you know, when you start it, the computer allows the tranny to go into 4th gear. I would like to know if there is anything I can do, to have the computer have "od" off upon startup?

Old 02-28-2000, 12:04 AM
Pastmaster, I was talking to a service advisor at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. I told him it sure would be nice if the overdrive was off each time I started my truck. 90% of my driving is city driving. It is a pain to push that button everytime you start the truck. Most of the time I forget, until I feel the truck searching for overdrive. Anyways, he told me any good transmission shop can make the modification that reverses the wiring to the switch. He said he is not allowed to do it, but will not hurt the warranty if it is done elsewhere. He said it is a minor job and not expensive. As soon as I get time, I am going to have it done. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2000, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, might be good idea. My truck hasn't been in warrantee since 1996, soooo.

Old 02-28-2000, 10:02 PM
Smile

I also thought about doing this before I had my gears changed. I can tell you that there is nothing simple that can be done with the switch to make it work this way. The switch is a single pole, single throw, normally open, momentary push buton type switch. When the ignition is turned on, the computer alows OD to operate by default. It then waits for a signal from the switch (wether it's a negative or a positive, I don't know, without checking the diagram). When the computer sees this pulse, it toggles the output off or on, depending on what the current state is. If the default is not reprogrammable in the computer, I beleive it would be possible to use a fairly simple relay circuit configured for one-shot mode, in parrallel with the pushbutton switch. Upon turning the ignition on, the contacts would close and then re-open. The computer may also wait until it senses the engine running before it allows OD cancel, which would make the circuit a little more complicated. If you want more details of such circuit, I will be glad to send you a schematic and parts list.

Later,
Jon

Old 02-29-2000, 04:37 PM
Thanks Rock, good point, I wonder if a guy could rig up a toggle switch instead of the button. It would probably be a bit crappy looking, but that isn't my problem.

Old 03-01-2000, 06:54 PM
Lightbulb

Check out THiS!.......
www.ford-diesel.com/contents/getitems.php3?E4OD%20Tips

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, FOxFO, 5.4L, 3.55, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS

Old 03-01-2000, 07:11 PM
looks like a good deal, but $189 is WAY too much for me.

Old 03-02-2000, 08:03 PM
hmmmm... a little magical black box with 3 wires for nearly $200. no thanks!!

------------------
Kelly

for more info on my truck, just click the link below and browse around.
http://members.home.net/fordf150

Old 03-02-2000, 09:35 PM
Wink

Yeah, they're working some magic alright! I garantee if I could get ahold of one of those "inverters", I could duplicate it for under $10. I think I'll work on my own design tommorow if I can find a schematic of a truck with E4OD. Anyone have a copy they can fax or email to me?

Old 03-02-2000, 09:39 PM
no, sure don't...But I'll gladly give you $10 bucks if you make one and send it too me!

Quick Reply: Overdrive "off" upon start-up?