What is that downshift clunk noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is that downshift clunk noise?

Since the day I drove it home, my '99 F150 V6 automatic 4x4 has had the clunk noise when it shifts down into low gear. I'm familiar with the slip yoke trouble on the '97's, but that was on take-off. I've heard sonething about re-programming the computer as well as replacing the driveshaft. Anyone had this trouble corrected? I've noticed a noise kind of like the clunk when going over certain bumps, too. (Actually, the sound is more like 'chunk' than' clunk'). Great truck otherwise. Any clues? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2000, 10:47 PM
Lightbulb

e250t: Yea, and at this time there is no solution for the 4.2l engine combo. The 5.4 4R70W combo has a reprogramming fix for this problem, but Ford told my dealer that they are still collecting data on the 4.2, and it may be something in the future. (like the piston slap fix) Register your complaint with the dealer and stay on him so there is a paper trail for your problem. Don't be afraid to camp on him, just don't loose your temper. I found that if you leave the tranny in 1st or 2nd, there is no noise, but the "drive" position creates the clunking and clicking. See if yours' responds in the same manner. I am told that it is a "software" problem and will not hurt anything, but it bothers me and I am the one making the payments, so I keep the lines to my dealer open. (He is a real good dealer, one of the last on the planet, I think!) If I pushed the issue, I could get a new tranny (FQR) but if it is software oriented, it has solved nothing. May run out of warranty before factory fix so this may be an option...hope not..everything on this truck runs great and don't want to mess with a good thing. Oooops, got a little wordy here.. unusual for me...Not! j.b.

------------------
99 SC Sport, Silver color everywhere, 4.2 auto,3.55 rear gear, split bench, stock AM/FM @ 2 cheesy speakers w/Ford brand bedliner. Keep'n stock from the factory because we love it for what it is...One fine ride!

Old 02-29-2000, 01:10 AM
Talking

j.b., thanks for the information. I have learned to ignore the noise, as long as it doesn't hurt anything, no big deal (my dealer said that it shouldn't hurt anything, but it sounds unhealthy just the same). Thanks again!

Quick Reply: What is that downshift clunk noise?