Vague B&M instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2000, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Vague B&M instructions

I picked up this B&M eletromic shift kit and am having a difficult time locating the "ECM" box. I am new to this board and this is my first Ford truck. I enjoy both very much and have read lots of helpful information. I have a 97 SC Flairside,Class III hitch, 4.6L "Winsor" auto. The truck was built in Feb of 96 and has the U trans. I pulled off the passanger kick panel and found two boxes, a blue on and a metel looking one. I could not match the wires from the instructions on either. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 02-29-2000, 01:35 AM
firstford,
i just recently installed the B&M on my 1998 F-1. The metal looking box behind the kick panel is the one you are looking for, the one furthest up in there. BUT, you have to remove the battery, the battery cover, and the battery tray to get to the necessary wires on the OTHER side of that metal looking box(the PCM computer). those wires connect to the PCM under the hood, not up in the passenger kick panel. the B&M instructions are terrible, so let me know if you need more help, and let me know how you like the B&M when finished.

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-29-2000, 09:39 AM
Red face

I also just purchased the kit for my 98 .4 E40D. Where did you run the wire through the firewall? Also, did you use the supplied taps to hook into the factory wiring? Would it be possible to remove this and leave no traces of the installation, for warranty purposes? Where did you mount the switch in the cab? I am thinking of mounting mine in the pocket under the steering wheel. Lastly, does it make a difference? Any noises from the tranny? Was it worth the money? Sorry for the lengthy post, and looking forward to the feedback.

Jim

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT SC 5.4L

Old 02-29-2000, 05:53 PM
I bought my truck and it already had the kit installed. the switch was just hanging there so I drilled two holes in the lower heater panel, then used sip ties to secure it.

As far as performance, I did not hear any noise from using it. It make the truck shift harder and feels like it downshifts harder as well. Do I use it. not all the time. I will do some 4X4 driver soon, It will be intersting to see if I like better then.

Don

------------------
Don W
97 F150 4X4, ORP, Tow Package,
CD-Changer, K&N, B&M shift improver,
PIAA fog lights, Weld Rims 17", 265 70LT AT/S.
f1504x4.hompeage.com

Old 02-29-2000, 05:58 PM
JSCOTT,
I ran the wires through the firewall in the rectangular slot that the computer sits in. I put the wires under the computer, and clamoed the computer back in place, they hold fine. I used the supplied materials, but I had to get some elctrical tape, as the instructions say. I am not sure of any way to do this and there be no traces of it for warranty pusposes, I would suspect that there may be a way, but that is something that you could ask Mike T. It seems like it'd be really complicated to do, but again, I am not for sure. The shifter did make a difference, it was a great improvement for the low price you pay for it. My shifts are now much firmer, and you can actually feel it downshift. I think you will be ahppy with it. I mounted mine under the glove box, stuck to a large piece of plastic where you can't even see it's there unless you get in the passenger floor and look up. make sure you position that little black relay box that is about 1/2 way down on the wire somewhere so it can get ventilation, and not near any vents where heat comes out on the floor, that thing gets hot as hell and you don't want it near carpet or touching other wires. I have mine sort of hanging down, not touching anything, under the dash on the passenger side. Hope this helps!!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-29-2000, 06:35 PM
Smile

Well I finally got it in, removing the battery and tray. I spliced into that harness and soldered the wires in. I think the connectors they supplied were junk. I ran the wires across the firewall through the existing harness. There is a big rubber groment located between the steering shaft and the engine that I put a small slit in to run inside the cab. Mounted the head unit in the small pocket under the steering columm letting the little black box hang under the dash for ventalation. Unit works great but I do hear some trans pump whine when in park. Thanks for all your inputs.

Quick Reply: Vague B&M instructions