Tranny temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny temp gauge

Can any of you guys with a tranny temp gauge post and let me know what kind of temp you have at normal speed. The reason I asked I just completed my installation of a Auto meter 4351 ultra lite tranny temp gauge just gave it a test run and my temp either never got above 140 or my gauge is bad. I drove on the highway for about 4 - 5 minutes at 65mph. Any info would be appreciated. I did fill the line as soon as I got home and it was not really that hot I could touch and hold with no discomfort at all. My truck does have the aux cooler. I have the 5.4 engine.

------------------
Rick, F150 Extended Cab, 4X4 Off Road, Dynomax Exhaust,

Old 02-22-2000, 02:01 AM
Question

Rick, I am planning to put a trans temp gauge on my 97. Although I was going to use the electrical version #4357. I am wondering which line to install the sensor on. Naturally I want it to be on the line that is coming from the cooler and going back to the tranny. Which one is it?

I don't have much knowledge of late model OD transmissions, but I have seen averages of 160 to 190 in C-4, C-6 cars. If all you did was drive at 65 then the trans should be cool, because the trans oil pump is spinning slower creating less heat, and the air flow through the cooler at 65. I'd say your gauge is working just fine. Try driving at 65 with the overdrive off and see if there is a change.

Old 02-22-2000, 06:37 AM
atudor31 I installed on the supply line to the radiator. My reasoning was I want to know how hot it gets. To answer your question and some people will disagree with me. The flow is from your tranny to you radiator then to your tranny cooler and back to the tranny. So if you are going to get the return line you want to get the line going from the tranny cooler back to the tranny. That is your return. I used the manifold that autometer makes. With some careful measuring and a tube cutter it installs very easily.

Now I towed my boat yesterday for the first time with the gauge and guess what if never got above 140. The boat is a 19 ft bass boat. I towed for 45 miles each way OD on and off. I said know why this thing works so when I got home I heated some water to about 160 degress took it outside and put the probe in it. It read 155. So the cooler is doing a dam good job. If you have a tranny cooler and install after the cooler you may never see it above 140 but I think the electric gauge starts at 120.

If you have anymore questions email me at RDCNitro98@aol.com

------------------
Rick, F150 Extended Cab, 4X4 Off Road, Dynomax Exhaust,

Quick Reply: Tranny temp gauge