Remote Auto-tranny filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Auto-tranny filter?

Is there a redily available spin-on type fluid filter application for the auto? I figure if I add something of the kind, doing it in conjuction with a fluid change would make sense. Have 10K until its due. Any ideas?

------------------
99 sc, sb, XLT. 3.55 ls, dark blue. bed X-tender only as of yet!

Old 02-01-2000, 10:06 AM
Talking

54ford - I have seen trany filters. I believe Pep Boys has the necessary hook ups. Also, ask for a drain plug for your trany pan. When you remove your trany pan clean it out and you drill the right size hole in the bottom and install this plug and I think seal weld all arround the plug. Then screw in the drain plug. It looks like your oil pan plug. Then remove the interior trany filter and replace the pan. Cut into the tranny cooler lines to the radiator and install the filter connection. Screw on a oil filter. Start engine and check for leaks. Then from now on just open the drain plug and drain fluid into a pan and screw on a new filter. Easy to do. I have only seen this done on a auto program on the TV.

Old 02-04-2000, 02:49 PM
I agree with the above, but I suggest a kit with adapters, so you do not need to cut the lines. I also suggest contacting a dealer because modifying the oiling systems will void warranty. This may apply to tranny coolers also.

This came from one of the best techs' I have worked with.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

Where we started.
http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
After a facelift.
http://www.zing.com/picture/ff/e9/b5...d.jpg.orig.jpg
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

Old 02-04-2000, 07:08 PM
I would highly recommend against deleting the interior transmission filter as Insect2 suggests. In an automatic transmission(at least all of the ones I have seen) the filter also serves as the "pickup". If you delete the filter you will starve the transmission of oil unless you overfill it. However, with an external filter, you shouldn't have to replace the internal filter as often.

Old 02-04-2000, 07:24 PM
Arrow

Not a good Thang to remove the pan filter completely. That filter is part of the pump inlet. if you remove it, you will suck air into the tranny pump. Those filters (especially 4x4's) have been specially designed with a snout that extends to almost the bottom of the tranny pan. This snout helps to keep a supply of fluid to the trans pump during cold climate conditions and prevents pump cavatation during (uphill, downhill, right and left banks.) The best ThanG you can do for your trans is to change the fluid on a regular schedule. Drain the converter, remove the pan, replace the filter and then flush your cooler and tranny lines with fresh fluid.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, 4x4, 5.4L, 3.55, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS

Quick Reply: Remote Auto-tranny filter?