Leaking Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaking Transmission

Hi--new poster here. Please bear with me, as I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm trying to help out my brother, who owns a 2000 F-150 4-door extended cab (?), automatic transmission. I think the mileage is right around 40,000.

Here's the problem: He noticed a leak about a week ago, assumed it was an oil leak and scheduled an appt. with the local Ford dealership. They checked it out and determined the leak was coming from the transmission. The cause, according to Ford's service dept., is a fluid line that was twisted to the point that it was cutting off the flow of the fluid though the transmission.

Cost to fix is at least $200 for new fluid lines, plus another $600 to pull the transmission and inspect what other parts were damaged as a result of the restricted fluid (most likely the pump and maybe the torque converter according to Ford), replace the broken parts and then reseal the transmission. So, about $800 minimum, plus parts. My brother is arguing the twisted fluid line (root cause of the problem) was like this out of the factory since he's never had transmission work performed on the truck. The dealership's service dept. suggested he meet with the Ford rep. (?) when she is down here in a couple of weeks.

My question is, have any of you experienced this problem with your F-150's? Does it sound to you like something that originated from the factory, or could it happen in the normal use of the vehicle (i.e., around town, occasional freeway driving)? My apologies if this is a dumb question!

Old 04-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To me it sounds like it was like that when it left the factory if he never had anything done to it and is the original owner of it so far mine has been fine no leaks no problems and have 47,000 miles on my 2000.

Old 04-09-2002, 07:58 PM
azcindy-

WELCOME !! That would never happen during "normal use of the vehicle". Line twists happen when the lines are removed or installed. These are not removed during normal maintenance of the vehicle. If the transmission was not repaired at some time, it came like that. If it was repaired, a newish truck like that should have the repair records. Whether it came like that or if it was repaired at Ford, they should be liable to fix it once the culprit is found. If they want you talk to the Zone Rep, that's fine, it's their job to resolve issues like that and are usually quite helpful.

Old 04-12-2002, 01:37 AM
Get a second opinion before that Ford dealer takes you for a ride to the wallet removal doctor.

Have them show you exactly which lines were twisted that they are talking about. Sounds like jibberish to me.

Old 04-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who replied--appreciate your help and advice. We definitely won't let the dealership get away with this one. I think the rep. will be getting an earfull when she comes down!

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission