Opinions on upgrading tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on upgrading tranny cooler?

Obviously, putting a cooler with increased cooling area would make the tranny run cooler. But should I consider it pulling a TT 15% under tow cap? I plan on going through the passes in Co. so it will be quite a pull. Would an upgrade help that much. Seems like the factory cooler must be wimpy if a < 100 cooler would be that much better.

What other mods could I impliment to help to not get the tranny hot? Synthetic fluid? Bigger pan?

If I do upgrade the cooler, what is a good brand (not TOO expensive)

Thanks

Old 04-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good trans cooler always helps.
You might also consider an extra capacity aluminum transmission pan with fins. Have also seen Deraile tranny pans with cooling tubes built into the bottom of the pan (see below).
Also, a shift kit could help to bring down tranny temps by reducing slippage and should also improve towing performance.

Good luck IAmGeeky.

Last edited by LE PEW; 04-08-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't remove the OEM cooler. Just add a second one with an integral fan. Also, consider a temp guage for the tranny. The deeper pan is a good idea but pricey.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I removed the factory tranny cooler. IMO it's garbage. I never like the STACKED PLATE design. They say it's better but I've never had any good luck with them cooling my tranny's. Plus the factory installed my tranny cooler right behind the front bumper where it gets NO airflow. I installed a AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" series tranny temp guage in my truck 1ST and could'nr believe how hot my stock tranny ran. I was getting up towards 200 degree's. while dragracing. I installed a PERMA-COOL 10" X 14" aluminum tranny cooler in front of my rad on the driver's side right in front of the large front grill. My tranny temps instantly dropped down to averaging about 155 - 160 degree's. That's a 40 degree drop compared to the factory cooler. I have since added a SUMMIT RACING 10" electric fan to the cooler so I can cool the tranny while in traffic or when dragracing.

Quick Reply: Opinions on upgrading tranny cooler?