Towing "properly"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing "properly"

Okay, I am about to start towing with my 5 spd. I keep reading posts about the fact that "if you know how to drive a manual tranny, you can tow more than Ford recommends". I see specific information like "keep the torque down and engage the clutch fully ASAP".
I may be stupid but I don't know what these statments mean. I have been driving manual trans. for 20 yrs., never had one go before it's time. Is there some magic involved in towing with a manual. I am familiar with double clutching to save the synchros, don't use overdrive, etc.
What am I missing?

Old 03-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Towing "properly"

plancha1

I presume it means don't mickey mouse around engaging the clutch and do so as low as possible on the torque curve based on your vehicle torque rating (i.e. watch your RPMs). I've also read here (which I'm sure is true) that Ford really has the clutch set up too soft, just because so many non-truckers are buying trucks, but don't know jack about driving a manual. The only time the clutch disc wears is when it is re-engaging. Thus, if you make it a soft enough setup so my grandmother can start from stop and not stall out, then you slap-on a horse trailer (which houses my other grandmother, the heavier one) on the rear, that clutch disc is taking a beating.

Quick Reply: Towing "properly"