Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission

I have the same clunk in my 2000 F150. Also notice a clunk when I let off of it at highway speed. Ford dealer says this is normal. May be, but it makes for a noisy drive. Mine has 35000 on it now and has always done it.

Have a loud growling noise (posted on this site) at around 10 to 15 MPH. Seems to come from under the hood but may be transmission. Does it when coasting in stop and go traffic or parking lots. Touching the gas, pulling in neutral, second or just pushing up on shift lever usually makes it go away. Dealer has heard noise but does not know what it is. Think they are just stalling util the warranty runs out. Last Ford for me.

Old 02-26-2002, 06:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So what engine do you have and is your trany a auto or 5 speed so far I have heard no clunking sound on my 2000 and it has 46,000 on it but i do hear the growling sound when its cold out and the engine and trany are still warming up to operating temp.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Sorry, I was still angry with the Ford dealer at the time.

It is a small V8 (4.5 or whatever), auto tranny with 35750 miles.

The clunking has always been there since day one. The growling has been around for at least the last six months. It seems to happen only after the engine and drive train have warmed up.

It did it today for at least 10 seconds after driving for several miles as I was slowing down into a parking lot. Always around 10 to 15 MPH. Foot off gas and usually off brake. Air, radio, heater, fan, etc. off.

My noise is usually a short growling sound (kind of like a windshield washer motor sound when there is no fluid). It may last only for a second or so but then sometimes may go on for 5 to 10 seconds. Strange that pushing up slightly on the shift lever causes it to go away most of the time. Pressing the gas and pulling the tranny into neutral or second always makes it go away.

The dealer's service manager has heard the short noise but never the long ones. One and possibly two of his mechanics have been in the truck with me and heard the long noise. One of them was the first to pull it into second to stop the noise. They still say they don't know what it is.

I complained to the Ford Contact Line today. They were not much help. Told me to go back to the dealer.

Has anyone been able to tell you what the noise is? Have just about given up.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the dealer and have them replace/reinstall the Transmission Range Sensor switch. The "goes away when i hit the gearshift" is sometimes just that the switch is out of position. It should only take 10 minutes.

Hope this helps,

G

Old 03-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Service Manager rode with me again. The truck cooperated and made the growling noise several times. He also noticed that I could touch the shift lever and make the noise stop.

Here is what they replaced in the tranny.

FMC F8AZ 7G383 AB SOLENOID ASSY-TRANS
FMC XW/Z 7A100 CA CONTROL ASY-TRANS M
FMC 1L3Z 7C155 AA GASKET-TRANS CONTR V

TECH REPORTED HE FOUND A DAMAGED VALVE IN VALVE BODY AND EPC SOLENOID DAMAGED. REPLACED VALVE BODY AND EPC SOLENOID.

They also replaced the tranny fluid in both torque converter and tranny at no cost to me.

Growling noise is now gone. Still have the clunk when I let off of it. Warranty ran out this weekend.

Quick Reply: Transmission