HOW TO: Manual Transmission Ignition Lock Lever Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HOW TO: Manual Transmission Ignition Lock Lever Removal

Doesn't that little lever annoy you because you have to push it in everytime you remove your key? Here's how to get rid of it so you can turn your truck off and take the key out without needing to press anything, just like an automatic truck. I opted for Option 2 so it will keep the lever and have a stock look, however when I get my nitrous kit i will remove the lever entirely and install my "ARM" switch in the small rectangular hole.
[list=1][*]Carefully pry the center trim panel off (dash cover behind steering column below gauge cluster)[*]Remove the ignition lock cylinder by inserting by turning key to "ON" position[*]Insert an 1/8" punch (or tiny screwdriver) into the hole at the bottom of the steering column cover push in a pin below the lock cylinder[*]Depress the punch while pulling the ignition cylinder out of the steering column housing[*]Use a small cresent wrench to remove the tilt wheel lever (if equipped)[*]Remove the 3 screws from the lower steering column cover[*]Seperate the cover halves and detach them from the steering column exposing lock lever[*]Option 1. Use a T-27 torx screwdriver and remove the ignition lock lever entirely leaving a hole in the cover[*]Option 2. Take a pair of wire snippers and snip off (ONLY) locking plastic part of the lever that locks ignition key from going to "OFF"[*]Re-assemble in backwards order[*]TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES[/list=1]

Last edited by Talleywacker; 02-01-2002 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
does no one find this interesting at all?

Old 02-08-2002, 11:45 PM
I think it's interesting *thumbs up*

I wonder why the lock is there in the first place.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:28 PM
I had mine ripped apart because a metal arm binded and made key very difficult to turn. One minus 20 degree day the grease froze and it binded-turned it until it broke-DOH. Anyone else have this problem?? Mitchell on demand shows agood breakdown pic on steering column

τΏτ

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Manual Transmission Ignition Lock Lever Removal