my E4OD and a huge headache!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my E4OD and a huge headache!

why might my e4od being overheating like crazy? I have 3 problems

1) I have a shifting problem from 2 - 3, it doesn't... if I let off the gas and wait for the rpm's to drop to about 1500 it will shift on its own most of the time... sometimes I have to tap it into neutral and then back into drive.. that works most of the time too

2) a strangle wobble... sometime when shifting from 3 into OD I have a weird rattle or wobble.. almost like its shifting in and out of OD very quickly.. if I hit the gas harder and downshift for a second it will go back in to OD easy the next time around.. and if I let of the gas it goes away too... and while its doing it I notice a loss of power.. strange

3) and almost worst of all... serious overheating.. it seems that there is no top to my tranni temp.. I put in an AutoMeter Tranni Temp Gauge to monitor what was going on... I've hit about 260 and it keeps going up, but there is where I give up.. I'm too scared of what happened the day before t-day... fluid spitting out everywhere! really realluy hot... it was so hot it melted a plastic bag on the floor of my truck

I don't really know how to begin solving this problem... a guy at a local shop told me to reset the computer and let it "learn" again?? any idea's on why and how? next he said if that doesn't work I need to replace the computer module in the Tranni, and again if thats no good replace the torque converter... what should I do?

I was thinking about reseting the comp.. then if no go putting in a performace torque converter? am I off base? I need any help you can give me!

http://www.f150world.com/bigbronco93/

Old 12-24-2001, 02:14 PM
Well...........it's time for a new unit.
The converter is most likely coming apart and has clogged the cooler, that would explain your overheating.
This also causes a loss of pressure in the lube circuit, so the trans will slowly self destruct. Actually I have seen them blow up in just 10 to 20 miles with a clogged cooler.
I'd start looking for a replacement/rebuild really soon.

Old 01-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Unhappy

My 93 Lightning won't shift into 3rd unless you let
completely off.

90% of the time if shifts OK manually though????

It has been doing this for over a year, it is not over heating either.

The trans fluid was changed at 68k (i'm a 2nd owner)
and I had a shift kit put in at that time. It worked flawlessly
for over a year then this problem. truck has 101k on it now.

It seems like just a sensor or valve or something, but no-one
can figure it out by thinking about it.

any ideas?????
thanks guys...

Chuck in Delaware

Old 01-09-2002, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chuck,
sounds like glazed plates in the direct clutch or maybe a sticky valve in the accumulator, could also be a worn boost modulator sleeve in the "A" bore of the accumulator. First thing, find a good tranny shop and have them test your solenoid, it could also be a voltage or contamination problem in the solenoid, but that's kind of rare, more common on the older ones though.

G

Last edited by Factory_Tech; 01-09-2002 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: my E4OD and a huge headache!