Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Torque Converter?

I have been browsing the web and noticed torque converters ranging from $200-$1000. Which torque converter should I purchase for my 2001 F150 5.4L (Supercharged)

Is the money spent on this application worth the performance gains?

Thank you!

Old 12-21-2001, 11:30 AM
A new torque converter really won't give you much of a performance gain, it just changes the rpm at which your engine and tranny get locked together. You might be better off with the stock converter, if you go with a high stall speed converter you would sound real funny revving it to 3,000 grand before your truck starts to move away from a stop sign. As for the price difference i would compare it to the difference between a cheap clutch and an expensive one. The expensive clutch is least likely to blow up.

-Jon

Old 12-21-2001, 10:11 PM
ricekicker-

Make sure that you factor in the price of a transmission removal when doing your analysis. It's very expensive to install one. It's a great time to do it when the trans is separated from the engine during repair. The supercharger will probably fry your transmission sooner or later anyway.

Old 12-22-2001, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Ford4ever
A new torque converter really won't give you much of a performance gain, it just changes the rpm at which your engine and tranny get locked together. You might be better off with the stock converter, if you go with a high stall speed converter you would sound real funny revving it to 3,000 grand before your truck starts to move away from a stop sign. As for the price difference i would compare it to the difference between a cheap clutch and an expensive one. The expensive clutch is least likely to blow up.

-Jon
The computer controls the lockup point in a lockup converter. You can also get higher stall without buzzing at every light, much like the stocker. A performance converter will only let the engine rev quicker under higher loads. Under normal acceleration, you will hardly notice a difference.

As for gains, one of the L owners on this site was in a Truckin' mag article on a Pro-Torque (I think) converter. He dropped his 1/4 mile time almost half a second, and was in the 13.3s before the converter.

They aren't cheap, but they will give good gains. If you do the work yourself, they aren't all that painful.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter?