Transmission shudder/thud and slip-yoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission shudder/thud and slip-yoke

I read a bunch of posts on this trans phenomenon and I just had the "30,000 mile service" done on my truck in which there were *supposed* to grease the slip-yoke. However, this initial thud/shudder is worse now.
Any comments..?
- Nealio

Old 12-18-2001, 10:14 AM
It sounds like you have the same problem I have. There is a large thump coming from the rear of the truck either when I accelerate from a stop or when I'm coming to a stop. I've had the driveshaft and slip yoke replaced but the problem is still there. If you go to the topic 'Other Drivetrain' and look under 'Possible Drivetrain Problem' you will find more information on this. I actually added a rear leaf to my springs. This stopped the problem for a couple of months but it is back now. I'm also desperate for a cure.

Old 12-20-2001, 07:39 AM
Here is my history. Dealers don't know SH$$. I went to them to have my 250ld slip yoke greased to prevent problems. Wasn't haveing any at the time and was too lazzy to do it my self. So leave the dealer. What the f I have the problem I was trying to prevent. Went to them and they wouldn't fix it or admit to it. But I knew what needed to be done. So a couple of weeks later I begin taking out the drive line to grease it myself. What do I get a huge puddle of ATF on my new drive way. Transfer Case was full, as I changed this before. When they lubed it they used ATF not grease. So I put white Lithium grease in it's place and problem fixed. Except my driveway that was stained.
I had a 97 ranger that was the same way and it was never fixed, even with a new drive line, guess I should have climed under that also.
So, the moral is use white lith gease and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder/thud and slip-yoke