Poor transmission performance in Screw

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor transmission performance in Screw

Help!

I had a 2000 F150 Supercab 5.4L with 3.55 LS (10,000 miles) which I traded in for a 2001 F150 Screw 5.4L 3.55 LS (2,000 miles). I have noticed a drastic decrease in the performance (primarily low end torque).

If I mash the gas at 30-50 mph, the new pickup will not down shift which causes horrible acceleration. Also, on small inclines in KC driving 45 mph, I will lose 5 mph before down shifting. In an attempt to help performance, I have added the Flowmaster DOS cat-back, and a superchip. I have decided also add the Air Force 1 FIPK.

I am curious of how to determine what transmission my current pickup has, and using the VIN can I determine what transmission my old pickup had.

Any help in what I can add to help the solve my problem is much appreciated.

Old 11-21-2001, 11:00 AM
Hi Po'man

I too have a 2001 Screw 4x4 5.4; installed several mods (see sig.) before installing a TransGo Performance Shift kit. My transmission is most likely the same as yours, 4R70W a.k.a, AODE. The kit only cost $125.00 including shipping and 5 hours of my time.

I know what you mean when you say that the shifting performance is a dog on the Supercrew, but as soon as I installed the shift kit it drives like a dream. This in combination with the Superchip are by far the best mods to my truck!

I took a friend of mine out for a test drive. He was blown away by the easy shifting when driving normal, but when he put his foot to the floor - BANG - need I say more?

Old 11-21-2001, 11:43 PM
BruceScrew

How do the transmission modifications of the transgo Kit fit with the shift changes in the superchip? Obviously you have the both of them, is there much more performance with both or is the superchip with its modifications to the shift pattern the major change.

Docker

Old 11-22-2001, 05:56 AM
Docker

I ran the Superchip in my truck for 4 months before making the TransGo kit upgrade. The Superchip gave the truck firmer shifts, but, in my opinion, not firm enough. I have not run the truck with the TransGo mod alone without the chip; I do plan on it sometime in the near future to see what the differences are. Tne chip is doing more than providing firmer shifts so I plan on continuing running both mods in my truck.

Hopefully this answers your question docker.

Old 11-22-2001, 11:37 AM
BruceScrew

Thanks, yes always helpful to have the benefit of others experience.

Docker

Quick Reply: Poor transmission performance in Screw