Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overfill

I just drained the transmission pan and replaced the transmission filter. I did not drain the torque converter. I estimated the total amount drained as being between 6 and 7 quarts. Well, it seems that I was wrong. After adding 6 qts, I checked the dipstick (with the truck at idle for several minutes) and find the level at almost an inch above the hatched marks on the dipstick. I drove around the block a few times and checked again at idle; I am still an inch above the hatched marks.
What are the consequences of having to much trans fluid in the transmission? Is it alright to leave this amount?

Old 11-18-2001, 01:15 AM
I am not the transmission guru of the message board but it is possible that too much fluid could raise the pressure enough to cause leaking seals.

If you really are concerned about this, ATF is not very expensive. You could just drain the torque converter now and change that fluid out. Draining the torque converter is sooooooo much easier than dropping the pan.

When you are under your truck there is a little, round black plug that you just pull off to gain access to the drain plug. You'll need to rotate the torqe converter so that the drain plug is at the bottom. To do this you just need to use a breaker bar to turn the crankshaft till the bolt is visible. It is so very simple and then you've changed out all of the fluid

Old 11-18-2001, 10:10 AM
Thanks AJ,

That was going to be my last option. After posting my question, I did some more research online and read that there is an overflow valve on top of the tranny housing which releases excess fluid. If this happens, the fluid level can actually drop below normal. So I would have to check the lfuid level, and at worst, add more fluid. So I guess that the worse that could come out of it is a potential puddle of ATF on the driveway. I have not seen any leaks so far, so I am assuming that that the overflow is not that bad.

If I can make some time today, I might opt for your suggestion and drain the torque converter. That would probably give me piece of mind

Quick Reply: Overfill