what is this sound??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is this sound??

hey guys. my truck seems to be making wierd sounds when i shift. i have a 2001 4.2L 5spd. once in a while when i shift and a little more often when i am at a stand still and i put it into first. i hear the sound when i put the lever into the gear and i have not yet let up on the clutch. is this a normal sound? should i go get it looked at? or just wait till my 3 thousand mile check up. thanks

A

Old 11-05-2001, 06:15 PM
forgot to mention

hey, i forgot to mention that it was a reasonably loud clunk. i mean it is not sooo loud that if you told me it was normal i would not believe you. but i notice it. it is my first truck and maybe it is just a normal truck sound. but maybe not. i figured i should ask some people who knows. any knowledge about the subject you have would help a lot. thanks again

A

Old 11-05-2001, 07:57 PM
Last time i checked loud clunks weren't normal. Can you give us more details? Does it only happen in first? Is the tranny hot or cold? Could be a synchronizer is messed up. It would be worth having it looked at while it is still under warrenty.

-Jon

Old 11-05-2001, 08:03 PM
it does not seem to matter whether it is hot or cold. and it happens in other gears than first. i just think i notice first the most because it is usually when i am still and everything else is the quietest. hope that helps

A

Quick Reply: what is this sound??