Mounting trans cooler??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mounting trans cooler??

Well, I got my trans cooler from Summit and it did'nt include any hoses or mounting hardware so I'm trying to get everything together for the install.

The unit is a B&M stacked plate cooler and it's a little on the big side (28,000Lbs GVW) but I thought it would be better off being too big than too small.

My question to you all is should I mount it flat against the AC condensor coil with those zip tie thingies, or should it be mounted to the radiator support brackets like the power steering cooler coil is? Which is better and why?

BTW, those who have installed one on their trucks please tell where you slpiced into the trans line. I was surprised to see that it had flexible rubber hose sections instead of all steel tubing.

Thanx in advance to all who reply.

Old 11-01-2001, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rubber hose sections should be very short runs just to eliminate vibration transmission. They are about 4" long and swedged intol the steel tube. I mounted mine to the radiator support frame. It stands off from the AC cond about 2". Its just enough to slip my fingers between the cond and coller. I was very suprised at how warm the air is when drawn through the cooler by the engine fan. Mine looks like B&M 18,000. But it came with hoses and fittings that don't work. I could not find an appropriate fitting so I cut the steel tube (return line) and spliced in using double hose clamps.

I recently found the below site, they may have fittings if you don't want to cut.

http://www.derale.com/derale/index.html

Old 11-01-2001, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thanks Tiger, I tried to get the stock cooler lines from the dealer but as usual they were no help at all. I'll post back in a week or two to let you all know how it turned out for me.

Old 11-02-2001, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Pew,
I bought adapter fittings at Pep Boys, made by Hayden. They fit the original modified flare (?) and adapt to hose barb. Hasn't leaked in over a year.

I realize not every do it yourself home shop has a mig: I welded brackets together so I could bolt my cooler in front of the AC condenser. BTW, I used a trans cooler off a 2000 250 SD. Trans temps while towing 7000lb in AZ ~160F in 115-120F weather!

Tony

Quick Reply: Mounting trans cooler??