HELP!!! Need transmission advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!! Need transmission advice.

I took my fiance's vehicle (2000 Ford Taurus SE 3.0V6, tranny AX4N?) in to ford for transmission problems. It was shuddering between 3 and 4th when upshifting. Did not do it when it down shifted. (Automatic). The first time they replaced the PCM. Didnt fix it. Second time they replaced the valve body...didnt fix it. It is now in there again and they serviced the tranny (without authorization-$130) and replaced mass air flow sensor. They said that the fluid was burnt and needed flushing. The vehicle is about 14 months old and has 23k miles on it.
Questions-
What would cause the burnt fluid besides overheating? This vehicle is NEVER towed anything and VERY rarely in traffic. Cannot understand what might cause it.

If the fluid was burnt doesnt that mean that there was likely tranny damage?

What should I do about the unauthorized service performed that is not covered under warranty? I know it needed it.

What should I ask and tell them when I go up there today? I wanna know what I am talking about and dont wanna get "bent over".

Thanks.

PS...Went in today and they said they are waiting on a mass airflow sensor and EGR (?). That is the current codes he is getting. As soon as he puts that stuff on and clears the computer we are gonna see if that fixed it.

ANY ADVICE?

Old 10-25-2001, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scoob: Please dont tell me you took it to Wade Ford in Buford......they have no clue whatsoever there! I personally would not pay for the fluid change. I doubt very much that your fluid was burnt. They obviously are grasping and are trying to make $$ off of you in the process. I wouldnt even fool with them anymore and go to another dealer.

Old 10-26-2001, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
food for thought.....

1. Why didn't they notice if the fluid was "burnt" when they replaced the valve body. They had to drop the pan and replace about 1/2 the trans fluid,right? Granted not as good as a flush but they still should have noticed the "burnt" fluid. 2. I agree with Frank, they don't sound like they know what they are doing. I wouldn't pay for the flush myself. I know it's tough to diagnose sensor problems especially with no codes showing but if they suspected the trans with low miles they should have done the flush first.

My .02

Hobbit

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Need transmission advice.