Classic 4r70w issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic 4r70w issue

Hey guys so let me start off by saying that I have read just about every thread possible about this issue, but haven’t really found the answer I am looking for.
So the truck is a 1998 f.150 with a 4.2 and 4r70w. The original transmission started doing the classic problem of having reverse work great but no forward gears. I could rev it up crazy high and get it to engage and work but eventually it stopped working altogether.
Okay so no problem, figured the forward clutch was burned out of it and swapped it out with another one from a junkyard. The swap worked great up until now. The tranny shifted great with zero slip at all. No noises or anything, it worked excellent. Today I stopped at the store, left the truck RUNNING in PARK. When I came back out I put it in drive and nothing. It wouldn’t move at all no matter how high I reved it. But guess what, reverse works great.
Okay so you can’t tell me the forward clutch or something mechanical failed yet again in this tranny with zero warning. It was working absolutely perfect. I simply put it in park and something went wrong obviously, but there is no way something inside is smoked.
Sorry to be so long winded. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is very frustrating for sure. It makes me wonder whether or not anything was actually wrong with the original tranny. I guess the only way to know is to tear it apart.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Forward clutch or forward drum. Nothing electrical can cause these exact symptoms.

Quick Reply: Classic 4r70w issue