metal shavings

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question metal shavings

Had my trans. serviced today at a local trans. shop. They drained the torque convertor, replaced filter. Called me at work to ask if truck was still under warranty because they found a lot of metal shavings in pan and on filter. I came out and looked and sure enough there were a lot of metal shavings. Trans. shifts fine and no codes come up on scan. They said they would not drive it out of town because it may leave me stranded, told me some of the metal shavings could get in the governor and trans. would not shift. Extended warranty company ( not Ford ) says that since no scan codes come up and truck shifts fine they will not authorize repair. Are the metal shavings normal wear this is first fluid change. Original transmission replaced at 2,000 miles. This one has 35,000 on it.

Old 10-02-2001, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GCOLE-

I am definetly no tranny man but I spoke to a coworker today who owned a Ford truck. I told him my problem cause i to had shaving in my pan....at 65K I did trans services at 36 and 60K no problems report at that point. He asked me if I had E40D or is it E40OD anyhow I said yes. He told me that ford used aluminum plantetary gears in this tranny and of course they are wortha ****...as ours is evident. Mind is at the shop for repairs but I was told to make sure they DO ALL UPGRADES to this trans. E40's have alot of problems and alot of upgrades to cure them. Its nice to know Ford is turning into a Chrysler of the past. They are getting cheap where they shouldnt be. Anyhow I dont have much yet but I to and in the same boat and I am pissed. Once I get more I will post.

Silver

Quick Reply: metal shavings