Shift Kit's or other mod's and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift Kit's or other mod's and Towing

Does anyone that's installed a shift kit, Bauman or Transgo, or done other trans mods do any substantial towing?

It's time for a tranny service and this is when I was going to do something with the tranny besides fully service, 4x4 pan and Mobil 1. However, now I'm towing a boat that's over 7000 pounds so I have new concerns. (yes, I have a tranny cooler)

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Old 09-24-2001, 07:31 PM
TTT

Factory_Tech, how about your accumulator mod for an Expy? Anyone you know of towing with it?

Old 09-25-2001, 05:17 PM
shift kit on 99

Hey, I have the B&M shift improver kit in my 99 F150. I also have the amsoil synthetic fluid and the B&M stacked supercooler. I recently purchased a 25' travel trailer, and have been pulling it every weekend for the past 3 weeks. I am extremely happy with the shift improver kit. It's not harsh, but firm; yet still gives a smooth enough ride. The tranny seems to run cooler to the touch, as i've touched the lines to/from the transmission after operating truck. Seems cooler, although i can't confirm.

My opinion, go with something that's not too strong, but any eliminating of slipping in a transmission is good, which leads to a cooler tranny, which leads to a longer life.

best of luck.

Old 09-25-2001, 05:19 PM
by the way

The trailer weights 6400# before being loaded with accessories, which i'm sure adds a couple hundred pounds... Bikes, bedding, food, clothes, etc....

Old 09-25-2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks msujon71

I've got a Superchip so the shifts are great; much better than stock. I'm sure it's simalar to the B&M shift improver.

What I'm looking for is some feedback on ones that have an actual shift kit or other mechanical mods. For simplicity I've thought about PSP's (Factory_Tech's) accumulator. Kind of a bolt on shift kit in a box. Of course I want to make sure whatever I do will improve, not cause problems when it's under the kind of load it is pulling this boat up hills etc.

Old 09-26-2001, 08:48 AM
Actually, my shift improver kit is the kit that installs in the valve body of the transmission, not like the electronic shift improver that i think your referring to. The electronic shift improvement devices work, but i'm unsure of their longterm reliability for my transmission. My tranny shops opinion was to go with the mechanical shift improver kit because the electronic one basically sends increased voltage to the sensors in the transmission in spikes, which could eventually ruin the sensors. Instead, my kit increases the fluid pressure (shift harshness) by increased fluid pressure and flow without spiking the voltage to shiftpoint sensors in the transmission. Ifigured it would be better longterm. just my opinion.

Old 09-26-2001, 09:20 AM
msujon71

You're absolutly right. Usually when someone says B&M shift improver kit, you're right, they're referring to the "clip on" electronic kit. The one some would call the "trannyque" (as in barbeque)

That is good to hear. You said tranny shop. Did you have a shop install it? I've been hard pressed to find anyone that has found a tranny shop they trusted enough to install a kit, let alone knew enough to recommend a kit or kit and mods.

It would be great if you happened to be in the Dallas area and had a trustworthy tranny shop that was well versed in improving trannys.

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2001, 10:36 AM
Sorry,

But i'm in saginaw, michigan. And yes, i did have a tranny shop install the kit just because I personally did have enough confidence in my tranny guy to have it done right. I've been taking tranny's to this same shop and same guy for almost 15 years and have never had a problem whatsoever with any of their work or tranny's they've worked on. My guy is experience in the 4R70W tranny's due to the number of rebuild he had to do in the middle 90's on cop cars. He said the tranny was junk from about 94-96. He had cop cars in his shop being repaired with less then 70,000 miles on them, where now he says he has only totally rebuilt one this whole year, all the rest have been modifications like mine. He just had a 98 Ford Truck in his shop for a fluid change that had 210,000 miles on it with no problem with the tranny ever. He said he just does tranny fluid changes every 30,000 miles. He said that the install isn't diffficult though and could be done at home, if you wanted to try it.

Sounds as if I'm sort of lucky though. Not alot of people have reliable mechanics it appears.

Best of luck finding your own.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Shift Kits

Hello FamilyRide, for what it's worth I remember reading that Mike Troyer has suggested the Transgo kit in the past and claims that it compliments the chip nicely.

I personally have used their kits in the past and believe them to be as good in quality as B&M or Baumann . I just got one for my truck and chose it over the others because I've had good experiences with them and also because I intend to get a chip sometime down the road too.

One other thing, I've always done shift kits for street/strip applications, I really could'nt tell you how any of these kits perform in the towing role if that's what you'll be doing mostly.

It might help you to decide if you do a search on some of the more popular brands.

In addition to what msujon71 said I've read that the electronic clip on car-b-que types also cause problems in the newer trucks. I think that they were intended for 1999 and earlier models?

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2001, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The kit I build is 100% mechanical, it's in the accumulaotr, not the main control. I rebuild an accumulator, install the kit and send you the whole thing, all you do is switch the accmulator. I cou8ldn't agree more about using software to improve shifts, it's a bad idea, I think.

G

Old 10-01-2001, 05:05 PM
Factory Tech- I just got your valve body upgrade from Sal. I plan on installing it this weekend. Thanks for the help.

What is the accumalator springs exactly do and do you recommend it with the valve body? Or with the valve body give me the same results?

Old 10-01-2001, 11:49 PM
Greg,

What is you take on using it in a heavier application like in an Expy towing over 7000 pounds? You mentioned once that the rebuild is slightly different for an Expy that an "L" which would make perfect sense. Anything special for towing as well? Of course the nice snappy shifts when not towing just toying with a Tahoe or Yukon still plays a part

Quick Reply: Shift Kit's or other mod's and Towing