Transmission fluid leaking from port in output shaft housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid leaking from port in output shaft housing

I have fluid coming from the bottom port in the out put shaft housing. About a month ago I got fluid in my transmission and lost all pressure and flow of fluid through the cooler lines. I took the transmission out and checked the front pump, replaced the torque converter and cleaned out all old watered down fluid. After reassembaling I began to fill the transmission once again and about 8 quarts in it started leaking out this port on the out put housing where the transfer case would bolt. Any one know of the problem before I tear into it

Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So you put in 8 quarts without starting it?

If so then there's your problem. Or lack of, as that's going to happen 100% of the time.

My procedure is to have 13 ready to go in. Pour 6 in and start. Leave it running. Pour about 4 more in and get in the vehicle, hold the brake and put the gear selector in each position and run the rpm's up to maybe 2000. Get out with vehicle still running. Pour and start checking the dipstick on every quart after that. Stop filling when fluid level reaches the top of the high level. Drive and make sure it goes through all gears including overdrive and lockup. Leave vehicle running and check fluid level. Add what it takes to get back to the top of the high mark.

Also, when checking fluid, the level is the bottom of the lowest dry mark you find on the dipstick. NOT. I repeat, NOT, the hghest level you see on the stick. NOT! That is the most common mistake.

D