trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trans cooler

Well I seem to need to flush my tranny cooler on my 02' f150 fx4 4x4 with tow package, pretty sure it has the 4r70w ,

There seem to be some debate on some of the information weather it is worth flushing the trans cooler and better off replacing it? Just was wondering if replacement is the better route? Or if flushing would be adequate and not too time consuming?

Then there is suggestion to replace it with the superduty trans cooler if towing is done, this is the route I was thinking of going. If I replace with SD trans cooler is there any modifications to fitting it in there? Also...What brands are recommended and what part number would it be for the SD Trans cooler ?

I don't tow often but when I do I press the limit.

I reason I conclude to need to flush the cooler is I have sprung leaks on the trans cooler line, (the long one) after replacing it twice within the last year.

would I need to flush the radiator as well?

Last edited by enriched; 01-23-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more
Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If the transmission hasn't failed and put metal parts in the line, it shouldn't need flushing.

And yes, from what I understand, a plate type cooler cannot be flushed adequately.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
If the transmission hasn't failed and put metal parts in the line, it shouldn't need flushing.

And yes, from what I understand, a plate type cooler cannot be flushed adequately.
Thanks Roadie, & NO the trans "seems" to work fine, up shift and down shifts without harshness and drops into OD. AS to weather the trans has made deposits to the cooler remains to be seen?

I haven't towed anything after the 1st time replacing the cooler line and yet it leaks right in the same spot, rubber flex portion near the serpentine belt. The 1st one was a Dorman and did not fit the best & only lasted about 2-3 months. The 2nd was a Motorcraft and made about 7-9 months before weepage and deforming the rubber hose. Never has lost a lot of trany fluid.
Logically speaking to would stand to reason that my trans has some elevated line pressure due to restricted flow.

Do you or anyone else have the SD tranny cooler parts number?? Also if the SD trans cooler would need modification to install?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I use a cooler from Long called the Tru-Cool Max. The one I prefer is the 4739. It's enough cooler that none of my customers have ever been able to exceed it's capabilities. Even with a transbrake on some stupid high horsepower vehicles or towing heavy loads through the mountains. That's just a great cooler and can be had for a good price.

Here is the manufacturers info

http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

D

Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I use a cooler from Long called the Tru-Cool Max. The one I prefer is the 4739. It's enough cooler that none of my customers have ever been able to exceed it's capabilities. Even with a transbrake on some stupid high horsepower vehicles or towing heavy loads through the mountains. That's just a great cooler and can be had for a good price.

Here is the manufacturers info

http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

D
Thanks Darrin appreciate the feedback
I'll check it out.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Well this is what I decided to do;
Most/some of these are done with consideration that this truck has nearly 192,000 miles on it.

replace the radiator with one that is wider then the original.

replace the trans cooler with a OEM. I got a deal on one & IF...I have still issues I'll up grade then.

replace the trans cooler liner....but that will be under warranty.

replace the water pump.

I appreciate all the feed back especially to Darrin Burch for all his insight