Whats this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats this sound?

I have a '98 Lincoln Navigator with E4OD, about 2000 miles after the warantee (50,000) has expired the tranny was dead. It seems that the Transmission Cooling Line somehow got loose while driving on a parkway and all the fluid leaked out. I somehow managed to pull over when there were nothing happening while pressing the gas...

Well anyways after paying $$$$ I had my tranny rebuilt from LeeMyles, they replaced everything...even a torque converter.

My question is now I hear a whine/turbine sound when coming to a stop. LeeMyles said it might be a wheel bearings or other... I'm sure it's a tranny/torque converter. It also sounds like tiny gears are turning really fast when going from a stop.

What do you guys think? Please give me some ammo to argue with LeeMyles.

Thanks...Joe

Old 09-19-2001, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

I hope they didn't just fix the leaky line and fill it back up with fluid. I'd get them to look at it again,or better yet take it somewhere else and find out if it really was "rebuilt" in the first place. Sounds fishy to me,,,,98

Old 09-19-2001, 10:41 PM
Hmmmm.......
I'll take your advise and maybe let AAMCO look at it this time. Why is it that most of us know about engines but not so much with tranny's? I hate my self...

Old 09-19-2001, 11:16 PM
Don't really want to flame all AAMCO's but considering my experience with one I'll never go to another unless it's the last option available. Took a company vehicle in (Generic Motor Crap Jimmy 4X4) 3 times. Never was fixed. Dealer finally fixed the tranny and said they had installed the most sub-standard parts he'd Ever seen. I'm sure there are some good ones but I'd try a dealer or well recommended local guy first.

Old 09-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Cool

Don't hate yourself,lol. I can paint any car in the world like a champ,but aside
from average engine repairs I'm pretty lost. Automatic transmissions are a complete mystery,,hehe.. Something just tells me that these guys aren't being up front. I hate shops that try to tell you something else is wrong instead of rechecking their work and trying to make you a satisfied customer.
With all the sound deadening that Nav. has you shouldn't be able to hear anything How well is the transmission performing otherwise?

Old 09-20-2001, 09:23 PM
The rebuilt transmission ??? is very nice atually, except for that sound. It's very crisp and no delays from Reverse to Drive and so on.

I've spoke to LeeMyles and they'll recheck on monday. Also got Banks Trans Command waiting to be installed.

Old 09-20-2001, 10:44 PM
Thumbs up

Good to hear! Hope they correct the trouble without charging you any more money. Good Luck,,,,98

Quick Reply: Whats this sound?