Truck stalls in reverse only when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalls in reverse only when warm

I have a 94 f150 5.0 E40D tranny and every time my truck gets warm after driving a while it will stall in reverse. I can usually save it by tapping the gas repeatedly. It does fine in all other gear except reverse in which it does fine when the truck is cold. Ive been trying to figure this out for about a year now ans no one seems to know what's going on. Ive read tons of articles and basically come down to the conclusion that it has to be either line pressure or filter falling out which these trucks are known for. Any help would be great including tests, diagnostics or whatever. Thanks.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A 0-350 PSI pressure gauge would tell the story. There is a test port on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front of the trans, just above the pan. See what the pressure is cold and warm. I'll be the pressure is dipping low when warmed up.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
A 0-350 PSI pressure gauge would tell the story. There is a test port on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front of the trans, just above the pan. See what the pressure is cold and warm. I'll be the pressure is dipping low when warmed up.

What does that mean if it does dip low when warm? And should it stay generally the same PSI while cold and warm?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes it should. At idle line pressure should be 50-65 PSI. If it dips below 50 PSI the torque converter clutch is going to drift on and cause a stall.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls in reverse only when warm