Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Experience - 2010 F150 XLT

Sharing my personal powertrain experience:
2010 F150 XLT Screw 4.6-3v 6spd auto bought new, 96k miles

Transmission/Powertrain related issues:
- Transmission leak
TSB/recall for cable or some other seal. trans flush and service by the dealer when they did the repair.

- Clunk from stop
Started a year or two into ownership. Just lived with it for several years. Finally had the dealer lube the slip yoke. It came back in 6 months. Just living with it now.

- low speed/low RPM shudder under light load
Started a year or two into ownership. This usually happens on one hill in my neighborhood. Going up hill, 25MPH or so and 1k RPM. Considered this another slip yoke symptom. I can usually avoid this using the gas pedal.

- Hard downshift
The truck has done this for as long as I can remember. I make many trips a year between DC Metro area and Morgantown, WV. The wife doesnt get to nap on those trips. I've done the google searching and read threads on this and other forums. I've had the dealer flash the computer a couple times. Each time the truck shifts smoother for 3-4 months then the hard shifts will come back. Quit taking it to the dealer and I make sure to renew AAA every year.

- Bucking and stalling in stop and go traffic
Truck bucked and stalled in stop and go traffic while coasting up to a light. Restarted and had a whine in gear all RPMs, no noise in park or nuetral. Drove straight to the dealership. They replaced the torque converter. This as at 91k.

Prior to the above, for about a month the truck had a vibration at highway speed. I needed tires and figured it was a tire out of balance. It could have been the torque converter. I'm 4 months and 4k on my new torque converter and the vibration may be back.

Ultimately it has been a good truck. I'm not going to say it'll be my last Ford. My Dad blew out a Chevy transmission and I blew out a torque converter in a Ram. If you read the boards; for any car make or model before buying, you'd never own a vehicle. I figure all you can do is hope you get a good one.

If the torque converter or transmission fail on this truck before the 150k mark, I'll put a reman or upgraded transmission in the truck and hope to get 300k on the motor and everything else. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: My Experience - 2010 F150 XLT