4.10 Gears in Dallas???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.10 Gears in Dallas???

2000 4x4 ORP (more details below)

I'm looking to swap to 4.10's but am not willing to tackle it myself. I want it done perfectly, so I'm looking for suggestions on where to take the job in Dallas.

I don't mind spending some extra money to get a guarantee on workmanship.

While I'm at it, what brand of 4.10's do you suggest?

I did a search but really didn't find these answers, so please forgive any repetition.

Thanks, y'all.

Old 09-14-2001, 11:16 AM
I got mine do here

There is a shop in PLano that did mine. I went from 3.08 to 3.73 using a Geniune Gear. Real stand up place. I got mine done for about $500 but that included parts and labor.

http://www.compmachine.com/

ask for Mickey and he can quote you over the phone.

Old 09-14-2001, 04:46 PM
Thumbs up Thanks 98STXV8

I went to the site and am impressed. I e-mailed them requesting information. Have you had any problems with the install or Genuine gears? I read in one thread that they are better than the Ford Racing ones. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your input, 98'.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Old 09-14-2001, 10:58 PM
Hi Roach,
I recently swapped the 3.55's for 4.10's on my 4x4. I "elected" to save $500-$600 dollars of labor and install them myself. Go for it, it is a great mod!

I believe that all of the reputable domestic gear mfgr's use the same material and process, that is 8620 Q&T steel which is quite strong and hard material. From the information I gathered, avoid any gears that come from Asia as their manufacturing process is inferior. That is one reason that their gears are less expensive. Also, some of the gears that come from Italy are of good quality (I forget the name of the supplier now). Most of the difference between the gear sets of the domestic suppliers I believe has to do with their specifictions on machining tolerances and finish on the final product. For the record, I used Torque-Line gears made by US Gears. When I compared the Torque-Line gears to the stock Ford gears, the machining finish and tolerances on critical surfaces were the same on both gear sets. However, the finish and tolerances on non critical surfaces of the Torque-Line gears were better than the Ford gears. Note that more machining generally means higher cost. However, it was interesting to find that the Ford gears were more expensive than the Torque-line gears which had a better overall machining finish.
Hope this helps
GDG

Old 09-15-2001, 12:53 AM
Thanks, GDG. Excellent information. Looking into US Gears now.

Old 09-15-2001, 04:15 PM
4.10 gears installed

I have had Ford SVO 4.10 gears in my 97 f-150 4x4 for about 60,000 miles now and have had no promblems best mod i ever did.PS i used the same shims from the 3.55 gears It worked perfect.

Quick Reply: 4.10 Gears in Dallas???