I found something really WEIRD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I found something really WEIRD!!!

I changed the tranny fluid today and in the bottom of the pan I found a little plunger thing. It is a half ball that is hollow on the ball side and has a stem about 1 1/2in long on the flat side. Also there is a o-ring on the circunference of the ball just before it is cutoff to flat. It is made of a tannish plastic.
Any idea what the heck this is and if it is part of the tranny or if it was dropped in during production. Very bizarre! The thing shows no wear at all on it or the o-ring.

Old 09-10-2001, 09:02 AM
I read somewhere that they use a plug or something like that on the trans dipstick tube when it is installed at the factory. Once they put the stick in the tube, it pushs the plug into the bottom of the pan. Not sure why they do it....

Can anyone else confirm or remember the post?

Old 09-10-2001, 09:22 AM
I had an 86 F-150 and found the same thing when I dropped the pan. Ford gave the same response as StongWind.
So! Nothing to worry about.

Old 09-10-2001, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I posted the same message on the engine board as well and 5 other guys there confirmed what you guys are saying, thanks again!

Old 09-12-2001, 08:02 PM
I believe it is not just Fords that have this. In fact, next time you guys dump your used transmission fluid at your local lube shop, take note of how many of of those "plugs" are floating around in the used fluid container.
GDG

Quick Reply: I found something really WEIRD!!!