better shifting 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
better shifting 5-speed

hey, i just wanted everyone to know that i changed my tranny fluid to redline D4 ATF over the weekend, and it made a pretty decent improvement over stock. the transmission shifts much smoother, especially after its warmed up a bit. i didnt think it would make too much of a difference in shifting, i just wanted to get some synthetic oil in the tranny, but so far it feels better than it ever has.

i was going to go with mobil 1 ATF, but the guy at the speed shop had just put the D4 in his 99 vette and he said it made a pretty good difference in shift feel, and he was right.... its mercon, so it shouldnt void the warranty. supposedly it is ATF specifically formulated for manual transmissions that requre ATF... whatever; i just know my shifts feel much better.... if anyone else has tried this i'd like to know if it improved your shifting too....

Old 09-04-2001, 05:00 PM
oh, btw, my truck has about 8000 miles, and there was a fair amount of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug.... that was a little annoying, but no problems with the tranny, so i'm not too worried...

Old 09-05-2001, 03:54 PM
Me too. I also switched to Red Line D4 ATF and got a better shifting transmission. I first tried Red Line MTL, but the D4 ATF works better.

Quick Reply: better shifting 5-speed