OverDrive Button is going crazy on me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverDrive Button is going crazy on me?

when the truck is in park the OD OFF light is on
when i put it in gear the light turns off?
it didnt use to do this so i got back on this here thing to ask yall's advice

just look here
www.geocities.com/thepyromaniackid

Last edited by ThePyroManiacKid; 09-04-2001 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

HI!... Mines been doing something like that too lately. I can only operate my overdrive button when the gear selector is in PARK, REVERSE, NUETRAL. When it's in the 3 forward gears the overdrive button does'nt work at all. I brought it into my local tranny guy and they said that they have seen this before on FORD's. They told me that the O/D wire harness coming from the gear selector gets pinched on the tilt steering mechanisim, causing a short. I'm living with it right now but it is starting to get on my nerves.

Old 09-08-2001, 01:18 PM
Just curious...Do either or both of you tend to use your tilt steering to get in and out of the truck alot? I'm wondering if there's a connection (or short for that matter) associated to the action of bending the wire harness a lot. I tend to just leave my tilt in one spot - no prblems so far. Either way it sounds like Ford should still get it right whether a different connector or harness should be used.

Old 09-08-2001, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I very rarely move my tilt steering. Just on occasion when I'm cleaning the dash. It's definately a binding problem in the steering column, like I said before.

Old 09-09-2001, 12:44 AM
Odds are that it is a broken wire in the shift lever. I had mine break 2 times before I pulled the shift lever off and replaced the wire all the way up with one having a heaver,thicker sleeve.

What you can do is remove the O/D switch at the end of the lever (it just pops off) disconnect the wires, remove the retaining pin at the base of the lever and pull the shift lever off. This will expose the wire from the steering column on up. The break is probably at the base of the shift lever.

Old 09-14-2001, 11:49 PM
If you search for my previous post from september of last year you will see that letting the broken wiring go may cause other major problems. Incidentally the wiring harness that brok in september broke again in july of this year after only 8000 miles.

Quick Reply: OverDrive Button is going crazy on me?