95 F150 5.8 shake/shudder and groan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 F150 5.8 shake/shudder and groan

Hey Guys, I am in need of some serious help! I apologize in advance I was having troubles searching through the forums!

For quick history I have a 95 F150 4x4 X Cab Long Bed with 5.8 & E4OD and 271,000 miles. Original Engine and Trans.

3 Problems potentially related.

I have noticed lately that when carrying a load (especially one behind the axle), when I take off the pickup feels like something is bound (for lack of better word) and shakes until I reach 5-10 mph. When it is completely empty I get nothing. The shake is a minor annoyance, but it seriously feels like something is binding up and I fear the long term consequences of this!

Then, At higher speeds (55-65 I suppose) if the transmission is in OD and I go up a hill I experience a shimmy, or a chug, that will not go away unless I let off the gas or turn off over drive causing a 3rd gear downshift. It seems as if without intervention it will not shift into 3rd (only with generous gas pedal). Seems to me it should be shifting to 3rd without my input.

Sometimes the shift's are a little hard. In the past I have attributed that to the miles but I don't know. The problem is I keep getting the back and forth when I take the truck in to get looked at. My father in law is a mechanic, when I took it to him he said he thought it was the transmission or potentially the carrier bearing, and sent me to the trans shop. They informed me (solely based off of a diagnostic test drive i guess, which means little) that the trans appears to shift fine, and sent me back to my FIL. The carrier bearing was shot so he replaced it, but I am still here with an injured pickup. Its frustrating me because i'm getting the "if its not physically broke we can't figure it out" mentality. Unfortunately I figured I would just wait it out to see if something bad would just happen, but still nothing. I work construction so the truck always has some sort of load, and the occasional 7000-8500 pound trailer, but it keeps shimmying right along through all of it. The only sight of trouble I have had was today, it had sat for a few days, I went to drive it home and the shift to second was hard, then the OD light started flashing. Stopped the truck, shut off and started again and no trans issues or lights, drove it 40 miles home.

I will note that I get the same "bound up" feeling with a little bit of groan when I turn at low speeds. I have manual lockout hubs which are disengaged, but it feels like they are still engaged. Don't know that that's relevant to this (I DO want it fixed) but I'm telling you all I know. I am willing to do what it takes to keep my truck going, but I actually need to know what it takes!

Thank you,
Ryan

Quick Reply: 95 F150 5.8 shake/shudder and groan