97 F150 4X4 transmission/transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 4X4 transmission/transfer case

I have a 97 f150 4.6 4x4 that i just bought from an auto auction my plans where to buy a lift kit and start fixing it up... But as soon as I put it in reverse i heard a loud clunk noise and when I started driving it around It felt sluggish and heavy to me. I thought it was the transmission so i took it to amco and they said nothing wrong with the transmission , that it was the rear end so i took it to get fixed and they only replace the bearings and said it was the transfer case.. This weekend I took it for a trip to atlanta and i noticed when i get it up to 50mph it feels like the gears come back down and the rmp goes back down to 1 , if i let go of the pedal and step on it again then it'll go back to normal and keep speeding up. The truck still feels heavy and sluggish , if I'm at a stop sign or red light and i let go of the brake pedal the truck just sits there until i hit the gas , it won't go a little forward on its on own like my other vehicles ... does that sound like a transfer case problem? Is this truck worth fixing or should i sell it and cut my losses?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like it could be your transfer case. I have a 97 F150 4x4 as well, and my transfer case just went out. I dont have any gears at all, even in park the truck will still roll. If it does turn out to be the transfer case, its worth replacing and keeping the truck. I found a rebuilt one for my truck on eBay through a wrecking yard. With shipping included, I paid around $400. They are easy to remove and replace. Good luck finding one anywhere other than the internet though. Your gonna need to look for a Borg Warner 4406 with an electric shift.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 4X4 transmission/transfer case