tranny mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny mystery

I'm new to the forum and I know newbies buy so the first one is one me...

My truck is a 2000 F150, 4.6 V8, 3.55 limited slip, 115K miles.

Here is my situation. I'm coming home from fishing (I'm pulling a 17' boat-boat, motor, trailer, and gear is probably 2000lbs.) and starting up from a stop at an intersection, no problems. I get to about 45 mph and I feel a thump, like I hit a bump in the road. At that point, I have no drive. The tach is reving up but no movement. I slow the truck down and try 2nd gear, nothing again. Slow even further to 1st gear and the engine engages the tranny. So I'm creeping home in 1st (thankfully!). No "check engine" lights and no sign of over heating. Got home and tried to manuever the truck but I had no reverse. The engine and all other mechanicals seem to be fine.

I will add that on some occasions but rarely, what I believe is the torque converter reving up when I first crank the truck and head to work in the mornings only. This has not happened at any other time and it does not happen very frequently at all.

I checked the transmission fluid this a.m. with no unusual signs. Plenty of fluid, not discolored or funny smell, and not foamy. Can anyone out there give me some possible causes for this? Could it be a speed sensor or some other electrical issue? Or is this the sign to start looking for a new sled

I plan on trying to get it to a mechanic who is close by so I could creep over to his shop (or should I get it towed). I'm hoping someone can give me a clue as to what to look out for.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. 90 views and no one has an opinion to help diagnose the problem. Tough crowd. I hope someone would chime in and at least give me some pointers to what could be the cause/possible solution.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangent
wow. 90 views and no one has an opinion to help diagnose the problem. Tough crowd. I hope someone would chime in and at least give me some pointers to what could be the cause/possible solution.
Your forward clutch works, but the intermediate and direct are not engaging.

Cancel light? There are two electronic shift solenoids that do all shifting.

Between these two, all gears are selected depending on how they are engaged, as alone, then to the other, and then both on simultaneously for overdrive.

Very possible the shift one solenoid is bad. This gets you into second gear.

Quick Reply: tranny mystery