Shop bypassed radiator, only used xtra cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop bypassed radiator, only used xtra cooler

Long story short,

A shop that replaced my engine under an insurance claim decided to bypass the radiator lines and only run the secondary cooler. I installed my Edge tuner a week and a half after getting it back and noticed my trans was running at 210* around town, in just stop and go traffic. I don't think it saw that high of temps when I would tow my boat up a few wicked canyons, here in the Rockies!

They said Ford data shows that it's safe up to 270* of peak temps. My truck has 95,000 miles on it (original '04 trans, btw) and I'm concerned a trans shop wouldn't be able to differentiate between 95K of use and 2 weeks of high temp damage.

Thoughts?

Edit: I have an '04 FX4 5.4/4R75E

Last edited by swazo; 01-16-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's pretty high for daily driving... My truck doesn't get above 150* 95% of the time, Though I've seen 200* hauling firewood through deep snow.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought you said in your other thread that they sent the truck to a dealer to have the motor work done??????

Given this and your other thread about the axle issue, it sounds like you may be getting the run around again.

Better get ahold of that insurance rep and set things straight, doesn't sound like their (insurance company's) shop is qualified for this level of work. At the very least get a waranty in writing from them that lists the work they did and how long it is covered.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
I thought you said in your other thread that they sent the truck to a dealer to have the motor work done??????

Given this and your other thread about the axle issue, it sounds like you may be getting the run around again.

Better get ahold of that insurance rep and set things straight, doesn't sound like their (insurance company's) shop is qualified for this level of work. At the very least get a waranty in writing from them that lists the work they did and how long it is covered.
That's what the first insurance adjuster said, but after I went to pick it up the collision center guy said a used engine was installed at a little grease monkey shop they've used.

I should have listened to all of those who warned me against letting them do anything else on my truck. Ive taken it back to them twice and they've got an excuse for anything that keeps them from having to do anything about it. "must be previous condition" is their favorite phrase.

I'm taking it into a "Ford Truckland" dealership to have it inspected and gone over. 3 months of total BS. They've exceeded the retail value of my truck in repairs and act like I've gotten everything I'm going to get from them. Itll come to litigation if need be.....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
[rant]
OK, dealer said the 210 wasn't crazy hot and if it did cause damage, it would be showing it by now. They also heard the whole story and leveled with me that they could point out everything wrong with the work, but the insurance guy will just stick to his "previous condition" line for everything because they've already spent more in repairs than my trucks retail value and should have totaled it to begin with.

I got the crappy shop to redo the trans lines the last and final time I'd taken it back in for things to be redone.

My trans also started to leak after coming back from their shop (No trans fluid on the underside of my truck except for the new leak, and my driveway is totally clean....but why try to use logic and facts with insurance companies?) They said A) no sign of impact, so it's not a result of the accident B) My truck has 95K on it, it was bound to happen. They said it's the pan seal, but the vent is mangled and the dipstick tube isn't inserted all the way to let the o-ring seal. One of the things that really made me mad is that the trans vent tube with it's integral bracket wasn't mounted to the "new" engine (mounts with the bellhousing bolts) and left hanging, then they had tried to break off the lower half by twisting it until it would break. They couldn't even break that off and left it for me to find while going over everything this weekend to make sure it's reasonable enough condition to drive a mile to and from work. Still no change in tune from the insurance company.

I've decided to cancel my policy with them early knowing at least they took a bath due to their incompetent "authorized service provider" and they won't make it back from me as a continued customer. I'll just start fixing all these issues myself rather than sue, rather than argue with them anymore or anything else. If the front diff is going out, good excuse to rebuild/re-gear the front and rear-end. If my trans goes out, good excuse to upgrade to a newer '06+ trans or just have mine rebuilt and add a better TC.

I was wrong, I should have listened to the solid advice I was given here by more knowledgeable members than I, when the first signs of trouble popped up. I learned the hard way on how to properly deal with lame-o insurance companies.

[/rant]

Quick Reply: Shop bypassed radiator, only used xtra cooler