looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for some help

Hey all, truck is a '01 XLT 4x4 5.4l auto, but I'm not sure exactly what transmission is in it. I bought the truck with roughly 146k on it last year and now have 165k. The owner before me said he had a heavy duty rebuild done on the transmission not too long before I bought it (previous owner was a family friend). He said because of that it will shift "firmer." But I've always noticed since I first got the truck the 1-2 shift was always the roughest, especially if I really get on it in 1st (which I try not to do for that reason). And I've noticed within the past couple months it just doesn't seem to shift the same as it did. It doesn't slip but it just seems to be shifting a little rougher than before. would a fluid exchange/filter change help this? Or am I just over worrying lol. Thanks guys

Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, a fluid change usually will help fix slightly rougher shifts.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Okay thanks. The previous owner threw out the receipt but thinks maybe around 5k were put on before he sold it. And my mechanic said he does a flush type method so I need to make sure he does a fluid exchange

Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't understand the difference between a flush and a fluid exchange. Aren't they two names for the same thing?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by DrewQ522
Hey all, truck is a '01 XLT 4x4 5.4l auto, but I'm not sure exactly what transmission is in it. I bought the truck with roughly 146k on it last year and now have 165k. The owner before me said he had a heavy duty rebuild done on the transmission not too long before I bought it (previous owner was a family friend). He said because of that it will shift "firmer." But I've always noticed since I first got the truck the 1-2 shift was always the roughest, especially if I really get on it in 1st (which I try not to do for that reason). And I've noticed within the past couple months it just doesn't seem to shift the same as it did. It doesn't slip but it just seems to be shifting a little rougher than before. would a fluid exchange/filter change help this? Or am I just over worrying lol. Thanks guys
You most likely have a 4r70w, there are a few ways to firm up the shifts, a kit (bad idea in most cases) a factory tech plate (best idea as long as made for your application i.e truck trans) modified valve body, and the 1-2 3-4 piston and spring replacing/removing

The trans-go and other shift kits get for the most part bad reviews on transmission life for the f-series 4r70w, a few though have had good results with them though..

I would find out what was actually done to make it shift harder....

Shifting harder is actually better for your transmission, it increases its life when done properly.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM
get for the most part bad reviews on transmission life

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by strokercrate
You most likely have a 4r70w, there are a few ways to firm up the shifts, a kit (bad idea in most cases) a factory tech plate (best idea as long as made for your application i.e truck trans) modified valve body, and the 1-2 3-4 piston and spring replacing/removing

The trans-go and other shift kits get for the most part bad reviews on transmission life for the f-series 4r70w, a few though have had good results with them though..

I would find out what was actually done to make it shift harder....

Shifting harder is actually better for your transmission, it increases its life when done properly.
like i said before regarding the firmer shifts, he said it was rebuilt that way because he used to tow with it and for that reason he had the heavy rebuild done on it. that's all he said lol.

and i never knew that about the life increase from shifting harder. cause it's like sometimes i notice it's rough but sometimes it's not. i think i just worry too much about it haha