Thread size for trans lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread size for trans lines?

Anyone know what size the threads are on the trans cooling lines? I need to know if they are "AN" or "NPT" and what size. Need to know for the line that connects to the top of rad & at trans cooler.

Thx in advance

Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Need the Transmission Gods to help me finish off this project! I need to know the size of the output line on the top of the rad so I can install an inline switch for my trans cooler e-fans.

Here's what I got going.
I picked up 4" SPAL puller fans x2 on e-bay for $35 each.
Fan control was $25
Temp switch On at 180 / Off at 165 was $20
Alum flat stock & stainless hardware was $15

Just need to finish it off & I think it will be nice. Here is a pic of the work so far. Should work pretty good I think. Flows a lot of air.

Here is a pic of the deep 3 qt extra trans pan I installed during the valve body upgrade. The leak from the plug bolt in the pic on the upper left corner was fixed with thread seal and is good to go now.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess I could just cut the lines flare the ends and splice it in with flare nuts, but I was just looking to hook it up inline without cutting. I think they are 3/8 lines so maybe I'll get some 3/8 NPT fittings and see if it works. Sort of plug and play was what I was looking for mostly. Since I'm not getting a response I'll go away so this thread can die.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM
I've been looking at installing a fan on my tranny cooler as well but realized that 1 bigger one wouldn't fit so i think I am going to have to copy your dual fan idea. How has than been working for you and where did you end up installing your thermo switch. I've been putting some thought into this but couldn't decided if the switch should go on the inlet or outlet side.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Fans have been working really well. They're spal fans with a simple on/off spal control. Just working off a switch right now cause i've been to busy with work to finish up the install.

I resently towed an 8k trailer 1500 miles with grades of up to 13%. Outside temps of 106 and tranny temps stayed right around 185. I didn't think i'd need the fans at highway speeds, but saw an 8-10 degree drop in temps if i used them on the highway so on they stayed.

I ordered efans for a 2010 f150 the other day to put on my 07. When i do that install i'll probably cut the lines and splice in the sensor then as well. I'll then wire in the switch as an override during the winter months.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
you mentioned that you have a valve body upgrade. What brand and how do you like it? I'm getting a 22' camper trailer and I want to do as much as I can to protect my tranny as possible.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gray13
you mentioned that you have a valve body upgrade. What brand and how do you like it? I'm getting a 22' camper trailer and I want to do as much as I can to protect my tranny as possible.
BcAutomotive is where i got it, but Troyers is cheaper and if you get a VB you'll need someone as good as Troyer to tune it. Since you'll need him to tune it you might as well buy it from him as well.

Crazy weird shifting and TC lockups with my JDM tunes. Very happy with Troyer tunes.

I had hoped to tow in OD with the VB to save gas. I get 2 mpg better in OD.

My TC started slipping on 8-10% grades and would through a trans fault code of 1744. Towing with OD off on the same grades is fine. My TT is 30ft and 8k loaded so you'll weigh a lot less at 22ft and may not have the same issues.

I'll be looking into putting in a built trans and TC that can handle towing in OD and my supercharger with ease in the next year or so.

Quick Reply: Thread size for trans lines?