99 F150 with trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F150 with trans issues

I have a 99 F150 that I've had for about six months. About three months after we got it the OD light started flashing, and the trans went into safe mode. We took it to a shop and they told us it had thrown a 1/2 shift code, but when they reset it they couldn't get it to do it again. It drove just fine for about a month and then it threw a code again. After considering our options we decided to replace the transmission. We paid a shop $1600 to put in a rebuilt transmissions with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

Three days after they put the new tranny in it threw another code, so I took it back to them. They had it for a week and then told me it was fixed. I got 4 miles down the road and the light came on again so I took it back. Another week and then they tell me it is fixed. I go get it and this time it made it for two weeks before the light came on again. Took it back, they had it in their lot for three days and never even touched it. Frustrated we went and picked it and and took it to another shop. The new shop told me that once again it has thrown a 1/2 shift error code, but once again when he reset the computer he couldn't get it to throw the code again.

The entire time that the other shop had the truck they didn't (as far as I know) 'reset' the computer and they never told me exactly what code it was throwing. The new shop, saying that it is the same error as the first time we took it to a shop makes me wonder. I have heard that there are some Super Dutys that have thrown transmission codes and have had starter issues (my starter has an intermittent whine/failure to engage) and that cleaning certain electrical connections can solve this problem. Has anyone heard anything like this about the F150's? If so, what was the solution?

The simple fact that two different transmissions have thrown the exact same code makes me think it is not a transmission problem like I had originally thought. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 99 F150 with trans issues