I'm A Marine And Need Your Help! O/D Light Flashing. Possible Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I'm A Marine And Need Your Help! O/D Light Flashing. Possible Transmission Fault

I need some help! Just got back from deployment and O/D Light is flashing. Took it into a dealership near Pendleton and was told that the Transmission needs to be replaced and wants to charge me $3700. Next day went to AAMCO and was told the Torque Converter needs to be replaced and wants to charge me $2100. It just doesn't seem right... It only has 57,000 mi. I bought it little over 4 years ago and have driven it only 8 months out of that time due to my enlistment. Government doesn't pay nearly enough. Tight on money being a newly wedd. Worried because I keep getting told something different and its a big chunk of cash. Could use your help on any ideas or suggestions.

New to site and need help! Suppose to be getting out and driving across country with wife to Ohio in 7 days.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
since we can't see thru the internet, you might want to post the codes...

Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Dealership gave me a code of P0752. They told me that the planetary gear was coming apart and that I needed to just replace the transmission for $3700

AAMCO did not give me a code. They said the torque converter needs to be replace $385. In doing that they want to do a complete over hual $456 in parts. I don't know if its to cover their tail ends because it comes with a 3yr/ 36,000 mi. warranty. With 12 hrs of labor they gave me the price of $2100.

Is the complete over hual necessary?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm also worried because I have seen online and have heard some terrible reviews reguarding AAMCO's work from friends.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 AM

well son get your head out of the jar, get on down to your local parts store and get teh codes read so you can post 'em here...

also a modificitation list won't harm anything either as I'm sure you've probably got larger than stock tires on the truck

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The list I was looking at says that p0752 is shift soliniod stuck. That would not require a torque converter or a complete rebuild.

Maybe Darren or steve will chime in or one of the other guru's can help you out.

And yes Aamco can be iffy.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
tarajerame

well son get your head out of the jar, get on down to your local parts store and get teh codes read so you can post 'em here...
Tarajeremy he's in so cal (camp Pendelton) so the parts stores won't/can't read the codes. But he did post thet it is a PO752.

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 AM
yeah good lucking getting them to read codes, they no longer do that free of charge

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 AM

really??? that sucks about Cali' then

then I might be able to ship one of the Xcal's to my brother and then he can read the codes...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM
If it is the torque converter its probably not a good idea to keep driving it right?

I'm going to try a shop on base to see if they can get me the codes I need. Im trying to do research online about the entire transmission so I have a better idea when I go into the shop. Can you explain whats going on with the code they gave me P0752 (shift soliniod stuck). I'm new to transmission problems and I'm sure it won't be my last.

I greatly appreciate y'alls help. THANK YOU!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperFi FX4
I'm also worried because I have seen online and have heard some terrible reviews reguarding AAMCO's work from friends.
You're a Marine there semperfi??? Wouldn't have guessed that one...LOL

I have also never heard a good thing about AAMCO, and have personally seen them screw over a friend. What you need to find is a tranny specialty shop somewhere. May be tough in your area, but probably your best bet. Either way, trannies are not cheap. Don't you have a auto hobby shop on that installation? Look into a used tranny somewhere if you want to save cash and swap it out yourself.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I would have offered the same help to a non marine FYI . But I would deffinetly get a second or third opinion because aamco is not worth a crap. The OD light flashing is never a good thing.....but I have seen that shift solenoid cause this. It's a low part cost and high labor cost.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Well here we go. The dealership had give me the code P0752 but I just had it checked again by an independent shop and they showed me the code. Its really P0712. Having to do with the temp sensor. Looking into it further. Any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear this. My brother in law has an 05' F-150 and his transmission needed replacing around the same mileage as yours. He admitted that he towed his boat (a light Bayliner 195 model) from MD to NC for vacation, but left the O\D on. Honestly, I probably would have done the same, unless my truck was dropping in and out of O\D a lot. Seems that I've seen other threads here about 05' F-150's with transmission going bad. Coincidence?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
really??? that sucks about Cali' then

then I might be able to ship one of the Xcal's to my brother and then he can read the codes...
yeah pretty sure pepboys or some other big chain sued auto zone for giving free diagnostic checks, now they have to charge everyone

Quick Reply: I'm A Marine And Need Your Help! O/D Light Flashing. Possible Transmission Fault