Broken clutch bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken clutch bleeder

First off I got a manual 1999 4.2 F150. I got a new used transmission and new clutch kit. installed everything dropped the exhaust and all. Everythings good until I go to plug the clutch hose in and it wont go in, I guess because the bleeder is tightened down. So I go to loosen the bleeder and it aint budgin, and it ends up breaking off with about half of a centimeter left of the little bolt stickin out. I tried an easy out which ended up breaking off inside of that. vicegrips or pliers wont work because theres not enough to grip to. I really dont want to pull the whole transmission to get to the throwout bearing to pull that pin out and replace the little metal bleeder tube with the tip. Its pretty frusterating. Anybody got any suggestions or ideas????

Old 01-17-2011, 02:25 AM
nvm i took care of it but now it looks like i got a hole in my clutch line. Im gonna put some JB KWIK on it. Bad idea or no?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably a bad idea, that is a high pressure line. Plus it will be real hard to get it clean enough for anything to stick.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
The clutch line is relatively cheap and extremely easy to replace. I wouldn't mess with it.
I skipped on replacing mine the first time and a couple weeks later it left me stranded in a parking lot with no cell service and all my clutch fluid on the parking lot.
Check advanced auto, mine was right around 40 bucks. I would suggest getting an extra roll pin or two. I didn't and it almost cost me again.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM
that roll pin is pretty hard to get to is there an easy way to get it out

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Roll pins are never easy, that one is a piece of cake compared to the one I fought with inside my steering column last week, but that's beside the point.
Since I was half an hour from home, it was about to rain and I didn't account for the brake booster being in the way when I was gather tools this is what I did.
Used a half inch breaker bar, don't remember why I even had this, some electrical tape and the properly sized drift or punch or whatever you want to call it for the roll pin.
Taped the drift to the breaker bar, drift was square on the end as is the breaker bar on the drive end. This allowed me to line up the drift with the roll pin and hit the end of the breaker bar from the outside of the engine bay rather than trying to beat around inside everything.
Use your imagination and everything is easy.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
well I got it, I kinda went with your idea with the tape but instead I got another roll pin and taped it to the teeth on some channel locks and lined the pins up and squeezed it out half way and pulled it out with some vicegrips. came right out.

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Whatever gets the job done. Glad to hear you got er all fixed up.

Quick Reply: Broken clutch bleeder