86 aod 4 by 4 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 aod 4 by 4 question

Hi new here. I have an 86 f 150 4x4 with the 4 speed AOD tranny. Its just been gone thru by a transmission shop, but I dont think it shifts at the right speeds. 1st holds to 25mph light or heavy acceleration. second to third shift at 35, third to overdrive at 45 to 50 light acceleration.
Ive done the factory recommended adjustment of the tv cable and thats what i came up with. But it just feels like 1st holds to long, and the others shift to quickly.
I know this is probably a dumb question but does anyone know what at what speeds this truck was originally supposed to do its shifts at?

Thanks Ghost

Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What size tires are you running, and what gear ratio in the axles?

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Truck has stock size tires, and stock gear ratio for that model. I have no idea what the factory stock gear is on this truck. I did discover a glitch after driving it for a bit after it was repaired. 1st will hold to 25mph by my speedo then shift. But it cannot be force shifted out of 1st by letting up on the gas under 25mph. When you do it simply coasts until you step on the gas again. If its headed down hill it will coast up to 25mph then shift out of first. All the shifts are positive, adjusting the tv valve will change the 2nd to 3rd to od shift speeds but not the 1st to 2nd. Tranny guy that fixed it says its a piece of clutch material from losing od thats hanging the valve body for 1st. Says it wont hurt it, but after my surgery to bring it back and he will "polish" the valve body for 75 bucks. I know little to nothing about transmissions except how to adjust the tv cable. The cable broke on it with someone else driving it dropping it into second with no 3rd or od and they kept driving it which is what took out the tranny the first time.
Any help is appriciated since i really cant afford to go thru the whole tranny mess again this soon. Thanks Ghost

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Post up or search the code on the door jam sticker marked under AXLE.

Here is a video of me screwin around WOT for the first two shifts with 31's and a ratio of 3.55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1taI3gNHjoo

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks Adrian. My truck has no tach so dont know the rpms it shifts at just going be ear. I just had gall bladder surgery so getting out and checking the sticker is out for a few days but i will post it as soon as i can get out there to get it.
Right before my surgery I readjusted the tv cable per manual then on suggestion of a tranny shop shortened the cable two notches about 1/8th of an inch. Now 1st kicks out under light throttle at about 15 to 20 will force shift into second at about any speed 2nd to third at 33 mph and into overdrive at 40 on flat surface very light throttle.
Third to second kickdown anywhere under 35 mph and wot kick down from od to third at any speed up to 80 which is a fast as i tried it.
If i tighten the cable anymore then it goes back to holding first to long.
The tranny shop says it is good where it is now but to bring it back after i get over my surgery so they can pull the valve body and polish it. I dont know if that will do anything or is just another 75 bucks.
I pretty much just keep it in manual D until I get on highways i know i can pretty much stay 50 or more mph then bump it into od because it seems to me that it doesnt kick from od to d on a hill soon enough unless i give it quite a bit of throttle, lugging down to 45 mph before it gives up od into d unless its half throttle or more. Its my only vehicle and i really cant afford to cook it again right now. Thanks adrian for the help ill get the gear ratio posted when i can get out to get it.

Quick Reply: 86 aod 4 by 4 question