Just out of Curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of Curiosity

I have been reading some postings here in the Transmission forum to get some info about my vehicle. The only thing I would call a "problem", is that when I start it cold, it surges forward periodically, and during cold weather, as in below 60 degrees, it won't shift fully into OD until it warms up. I bought the truck used in 2006 with less than 70,000 miles on it. I changed the fluids in the drive train at 100,000, including changing the filter in the trans, as I did not get any maintenance records with it.
One of the postings I read referred to flushing the trans. I didn't do that, but have been thinking of it. I also read a posting that stated that the torque converters in the 98's have drain plugs. Does this apply to all of them? How do you refill it after draining it?
The truck is a 98 F-150/5.4/4wd/3DR Cab with an E4OD trans. It shifts fine, but gets crappy mileage. Might the TC not be locking up properly? It currently
has 132,000 miles on it. I would like to see if I can get a couple hundred thou more out of it.
I used all synthetic lube when I changed the fluids. Mobil 1 all the way. What else should I do? By the way, I know for a fact that the brakes are not dragging.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the delayed shifting into OD is normal. mine does it too, but it only take about 2 miles or so.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is an inspection/drain plug in the bottom of the bell housing. Turn the crankshaft slowly while looking in the hole for the drain plug. When you have it lined up remove the bolt and drain the TC replace the bolt tight maybe 25-30 lbs.. Then just start the truck and fill the trans you should drain the pan at the same time to get all the fluid. Takes 15 quarts to fill it..

Old 10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
There is an inspection/drain plug in the bottom of the bell housing. Turn the crankshaft slowly while looking in the hole for the drain plug. When you have it lined up remove the bolt and drain the TC replace the bolt tight maybe 25-30 lbs.. Then just start the truck and fill the trans you should drain the pan at the same time to get all the fluid. Takes 15 quarts to fill it..
Thanks for the info. May have to wait until I can afford the fluid, but it does sound promising. Might cure the surge. Hope so. One thing at a time.
By the way, LOVE the Mach1.

Quick Reply: Just out of Curiosity