yet another weird one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another weird one!

fresh rebuilt transmission
had a stock 99 vb in it no mods..all worked great...
i couldnt leave well enough alone so i decided to j-mod it..(first mistake)..
drilled all holes as per jerrys updated 98 up vb drill specs. put it all back together n bolted iher up.. fired up the hand held tunner and raised pressure
extended shift points n headed out for a test run....wow... super hard firm shifts..im exited...(second mistake) i should'nt of been..

problem:

1-2 shifts hard under power , crisp n sharp under light acceleration
2-3 same as above
3-4 not as hard as 1-2/2-3 but noticably firmer n sharper.

while driving in overdrive once i start to slow down in traffic the computer commands a 4-3 down shift it neutrals no 3rd.. i can rev n rev to no avail..it will not engage 3rd .it will also not go back into o/d because speed is to slow.. if i manualy shift it into 2nd then back to 3rd it engages like normal..nice hard shift...

if i turn o/d off .i get firm shifts all the way up into third... i can cruise in third no problem as long as im under throttle..as soon as i let of the happy pedal and coast a little it neutrals again.. i try n turn o/d on but also wont catch.. bring it to 2nd then back to third all is well again till i coast once again...

any ideas what to check????? sensors,valves, pull trans out go through it??

tia,

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My only input here is that the j-mod isn't designed for the truck VB. Weird ***** happens when you do that. Best advice is to get a car VB if you want to do that mod.

Other than that, not sure.

Darrin

Old 09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
My only input here is that the j-mod isn't designed for the truck VB. Weird ***** happens when you do that. Best advice is to get a car VB if you want to do that mod.

Other than that, not sure.

Darrin
he he he...did i forget to mention the transmission case v/b n internals came out of a 2000 lincoln town car.oh and that its installed in a mustang

fresh clutches put in ..all steels were lightly sanded but none had any blue heat marks on them ..all original stuff inside was reusable still had part numbers/black paint on some clutches but i decided to put new stuff in anyways.. all copper bearings inside tranny were scratch free n were reused.. every other seal was changed n air checked before build began. maybe i knicked a teflon seal or something on assembly.. im going to try n change all electronics on it n recheck the Accumulator bores n pistons to make sure everything is ok... if it keeps doing the same, time for a teardown..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM
ooops double post...

Last edited by sucks2bu; 09-26-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It REALLY doesn't sound like an internal issue because the gears work and hold until you try to do this one thing. If there was a problem with the clutches, seals or electricals you wouldn't only have this problem on a downshift. It would be there every time the part in question was called for use and that isn't happening obviously.

It's in the valve body. No need to pull the transmission.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM
i agree.. vb

Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM
thanks guys..ill pull the vb n see if i find whats going on?

Last edited by sucks2bu; 09-26-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM
swaped v/b out of an old 98 mustang gt tranny i had laying around.. performed j-mod to this one also. seems to have fixed problem.. ran 114 mph in the 8th mile track n its still shifting awsome..pulled pan to change filter n fluid no debris in pan... seems we can call this one ok.

thanks for feedback guys..

darrin did u ever figure out the problem with the tranny comanding od with the pa v/b???
im sending mines back as i eliminated all veriables n its definately the v/b.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I havent had any problems with my Jmodded 4R70w in my supercrew. Anytime i uplug the battery for a while it takes a few minutes of driving for the PCM to "relearn" the modded transmission

Quick Reply: yet another weird one!