Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Problem

I have a 98 F-150 2WD 4r70w drove great till changed the tranny fluid now its wanting to stay in drive and pull forward no matter what gear you put it in when its running. But when the motor is shut off if you put it in neutral you can push it forward or backwards with out any problems. please help!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM
how many miles do you have on the transmission? how many was on when you got the fluid changed? when you say pull forward what do you mean? does it do it in reverse? does the truck idle up?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
the transmission has about 100K miles on it, I've put maybe a mile on it cause it has been doing this since the fluid was changed, it idles up for a brief second when you first start it, and by pulling forward I mean it stays in drive no matter what gear you put it in as long as the motor is running but if you shut the truck off you can move it around forward or backwards in neutral.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
ALMOST sounds like it's not getting the correct fluid pressure maybe? transmissions really isn't my thing (but if i poke something with a stick enough something usually happens )

did you check your fluid level? it was just a fluid change, not flush correct?

and did you change it? or did you take it somewhere? rack your brain and give ALL the details you can... it helps us out

Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
yeah I have checked the fluid level and I'm the one that changed it, I'm wondering if its something electrical since its only seems to be stuck in drive when its running

Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There isnt anything electrical that will cause that. There is a manual valve on the transmission that is directly attached to the shift lever and is what is moved when you move the shifter. This valve is actually what controls if the transmission is in park, reverse, neutral or drive. If all the electricals fail then you will have at least park, reverse, neutral and 2nd gear based on the position of that manual valve.

So, for you to be pulling forward in any position, something has either happened tothe linkage, to that valve, to the valve body or a cross leak has shown up somewhere in the case or the pump.

Darrin

Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Where is the valve located at? Also I tried it again the other day and now the transmission wont even lock in to park when you put it in park you can still drive it forward, no matter what gear you put it in you can drive it forward except if you put it in reverse and then it don't do anything it also most acts as if your holding the brakes on it and wont do anything but rev up but the transmission wont try moving the drive shaft either way kinda like forward and reverse is fighting against each other...........any ideas? and can it be fixed?

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem