1993 4.9L 5spd- Will not go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 4.9L 5spd- Will not go into gear

About six months ago I bought the 93 with 175k miles on it. A short time later the clutch became soft and I had trouble putting the truck in gear. I began looking around online and it sounded like the slave cylinder went. About two weeks ago, a buddy and I dropped the transmission, replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and had the flywheel resurfaced. We did this all by following a Haynes manual. We were very proud of ourselves as this was our first time dropping a transmission, but when we got everything back to together we went to put the shifter back in and the transmission will not go into gear. I can see the clutch actuating from underneath, we bled the slave cylinder multiple times, changed the transmission fluid while it was down, adjusted the clutch pedal and still nothing. Right now the truck is sitting in neutral (we can roll it) but when it is turned on the reverse lights are on like it is in reverse. Any help will be much appreciated!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 PM
When you took the shifter out did you remove it from the stub shaft or did you pull the stub shaft out if the top of the transmission I.E. did you take off the big bolt or the three small screws around the bottom if the shifter.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
We only took out the three small screws. We tried to remove the large bolt but found it difficult, so we went with the easy way out.

Last edited by USAFTN128; 08-17-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Take the shifter back off, you will see the sliding mechanism for the gear selection, these plates must be lined up so that so the transmission is in nuetral, right now the transmission is in reverse, mine was stuck in second the first time i did this, I used a large screw driver to push the internals into the right spot, i'm not 100% on what way yours needs to go but I think the one on the right needs to go towards the front of the vehicle. Search for some more stuff about shifter removal and all that for the M5OD.
P.S. next time remove the nut from that bolt, put it on the opposite side and tighten it, the stud will pull out and the shifter will come right off, much easier.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=15282

That may or may not help you. It cleared things up for me after I had already figured it out after stabbing a screw driver into my tranny.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Russo, appreicate all the help. You were right on about the transmission being in gear. We put the shifter back in as if it was in reverse and it slipped in and worked fine. Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
No problem, I learned that one the hard way, Just figured I'd help out someone else who 'took the easy way out' for shifter removal.

Quick Reply: 1993 4.9L 5spd- Will not go into gear