Transmission Filter and Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Filter and Transmission Cooler

Is it possible to change or flush the transmission at the transmission cooler?

I have a 2005 F150, crew cab, 2wd with the 5.4 engine and want to change the transmission filter as well as flush the sytem.

My plans are:

Syphon as much fluid through the dipstick as possible.

Drop pan, clean and install new filter.

add some fluid

And then try to flush the remaining old fluid through the radiator tube or at the transmission cooler. I like the transmission cooler since it is easy to get at the fittings and looks easier. If not I can do at the radiator. Just want to confirm it is the top fitting.

Any suggestions on the order of work or steps to take?

And are the filters ok at the national chain stores for the transmissions?

Thanks!

Gregg

Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The easiest way is take it in to a shop that has an exchange machine. However, you can do it yourself:

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...d.php?p=234914

Principle is the same for any Ford automatic. I'd get a Motorcraft filter, it's $17.89 at rockauto.com. The factory pan gasket should be left intact and reused.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
GLC,

Thanks for the info. It looks pretty straight forward.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
hey guys, i got my 2004 4.6l 4x4 with 49,000 on it (give or take), and it now has 75,000+ on it. i dont know if the previous owner changed the transmission oil or oil filter or not, but ive heard stories of people changin the transmission fluid and it blowing up on them. do you guys see a reason not to change mine, i believe it needs it cause it doesnt shift as good anymore but i also dont wanna blow my tranny. any advice?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Not sure if this helps, but this is my story. I bought my truck from my dad. They had it while they pulled a trailer and finally reached an age when they couldn't do it anymore.

I have 105,000 on the truck. Last week I started feeling the transmission slip in various situations such as when it should downshift or shift into a higher gear.

I checked the fluid and it looked good, but I wanted to get it ready for a flush so I syphoned some fluid out and put in a can of sea foam. The problem stopped immediately leaving me to believe that it needed a cleaning and change (the seam foam did the cleaning part).

Then I started searching posts on dropping the pan versus a fluid exchange finally leading me to posting here.

As a side note, my dad had the fluid changed at 30,000. I am going to drop the pan and change the filter just to make sure it is in good shape and to clean the pan and the magnet.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinonmoto17s
hey guys, i got my 2004 4.6l 4x4 with 49,000 on it (give or take), and it now has 75,000+ on it. i dont know if the previous owner changed the transmission oil or oil filter or not, but ive heard stories of people changin the transmission fluid and it blowing up on them. do you guys see a reason not to change mine, i believe it needs it cause it doesnt shift as good anymore but i also dont wanna blow my tranny. any advice?
Have you searched the forums? This topic has been brought up about 3548765432 times!

Change it, ESPECIALLY if the shift quality has deteriorated!

I syphoned some fluid out and put in a can of sea foam.
You are more courageous than I. I would NEVER put anything into an automatic transmission except ATF. I hope that Seafoam isn't eating your clutches as we speak.........

Quick Reply: Transmission Filter and Transmission Cooler