The 379,356 Mile Ford E40D Dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The 379,356 Mile Ford E40D Dies

EDIT!!!!!!!!!

Problem was the 9.75 Rear End. One of the four carrier bolts sheered off causing the diff to shift and grind the ring and pinion down to nothing. I ll post some pictures later.

Well I was driving home from bowling with friends as I am home on spring break from UNCG. My truck started to make a ticking noise under my feet then what sounded like a gear whine coming from under my feet that progressively got worse. But being me at 1:45am in Mooresville NC i decided well its only 8 miles home Ill keep the speed down to 35 and hope I get there. Well with only three miles to home I have to stop at the only stop light in my home town it turns green and i barely give her gas and bang sounded like a bomb went off, so now I am sitting in the middle of the road on a blind hill with nothing except my cell phone and a AAA card. Well let me just say AAA is useless and will hear from me in the morning. They proceeded to tell me at 1:50am someone would be here in 45 mins. Well 2:45 rolls around and they call telling me there are no tow trucks around in this area which I knew was a lie I have been towed here before? So I call my friend with a F350 will chain and tow-strap from his receiver to both my tow-hooks and wouldn't you know as soon as we started to move a cop driving in the opposite direct at around 3:20am stops us as we are the only ones on the road and told us if we didn't stop he would give us both tickets form improper equipment. So they I am back on the phone and have to use the sherriffs rotational wrecker to tow my truck to my house 3 miles away since the sherriff told me we couldn't leave it to morning as he would have it impounded. So at 4:15 the tow truck gets there hooks everything up tows me less then 3 miles at this point, so i am pretty happy the truck is home and he hits me with a $65 towing bill for less then 3 miles when it wasn't even a rollback tow-truck or anything special. So dont trust your AAA membership.

TRANNY-

Was howling for 6 miles
Stop at traffic light, go forward loud bang
Drive grinds
Second grinds
first grinds
reverse grinds
neutral works
park works.

Lastly.....

sorry for the terrible spelling and grammar its 5 am and I just got home with my poor broken truck.

Last edited by nick.schrandt; 03-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 AM
also let me note the overdrive light was not flashing and never did?

Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is your transfer case manual or electric? Was it inadvertently engaged? If it is a manual shift put it in neutral and shift through the gears with your transmission. No grinding would indicate the transfercase. The next thing to check would the transmission fluid. Pull the pan and look for metal debris or shavings in the fluid. Same thing with the transfer case if the transmission is clean. The last thing would be the differentials.

Last edited by JMC; 03-13-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Is your transfer case manual or electric? Was it inadvertently engaged? If it is a manual shift put it in neutral and shift through the gears with your transmission. No grinding would indicate the transfercase. The next thing to check would the transmission fluid. Pull the pan and look for metal debris or shavings in the fluid. Same thing with the transfer case if the transmission is clean. The last thing would be the differentials.

electric transfer case

Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
JMC

Can you tell if the driveshaft is turning when it grinds in gear? You may have damaged the rear diff. Did you regear it?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
9.75 Rear End was the problem

Originally Posted by JMC
Can you tell if the driveshaft is turning when it grinds in gear? You may have damaged the rear diff. Did you regear it?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
well went out there today dropped the drive shaft and strated the truck put it in drive and there was no grinding in any gear. I took the cover off the rear diff and well thats where the problem was one of the carrier bolts sheered off and the diff was moved back when this happened so the ring gear is destroyed. So I am looking at a whole new rear end.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:21 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
he hits me with a $65 towing bill for less then 3 miles
That's cheap. Last time I had to get a tow, just the hookup was $80.

Trending Topics

Old 03-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow that stinks... still impressive for the miles tho

Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by glc
That's cheap. Last time I had to get a tow, just the hookup was $80.
Well i am just comparing it to the average cost in my area.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 PM
JMC

When one of my 8.8s grenaded I was in the middle of an intersection. I put it in 4Lo and dragged its äss across the street. Time for you to get a girdle for your 9.75.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
glc
Replacing the rear is going to be a lot cheaper than replacing the tranny! Get ye to the boneyard!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
When one of my 8.8s grenaded I was in the middle of an intersection. I put it in 4Lo and dragged its äss across the street. Time for you to get a girdle for your 9.75.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

How can I tell if my transfer case is bad I went to put it in 4 hi to move it into my garage and it nothing when in gear. But in 2wd with no driveshaft if you put it in gear its smooth and the speedometer registers about 10mph. So is my t-case bad to or will I only be able to move it in 4 lo?

Update 4 wheel low was the key....

last question can I get a 9.75 rear off a 2001 truck so I can upgrade to disc brakes what all is involved in that process

Last edited by nick.schrandt; 03-13-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 AM
glc
Something is wrong with the TC - it should move it in 4 hi.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Something is wrong with the TC - it should move it in 4 hi.
i thought 4 high worked as a open differential in the center where as 4 wheel low acted as a locker in the center differential? I may be wrong but thats what I just thought and without the rear driveshaft in 4 high it would just spilt the power the the rear where there is nothing?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:02 PM
glc
There is no center differential. The transfer case is either engaged or not, and the front axle is either engaged or not.

Quick Reply: The 379,356 Mile Ford E40D Dies