OverDrive Does not downshift or slips

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverDrive Does not downshift or slips

I have a 2003 F150 Super Crew 5.4 Lariat with 80000miles

My issue is that overdrive is not down shifting properly or its slipping.

When I'm driving at say 60mph .. and I slow down for traffic then accelerate again my rpm's jump up and the transmission does not seem to engage for a second or three .. I let of the accelerator and let it down shift/engage and its ok... this happens at all speeds... ive been forced to use overdrive on a manual basis.

When I take it out of over drive this does not happen at any speed.

I was told not to use overdrive and 4wd drive at the same time .. unfortunately with all the snow we have had this year I did just that .. and the problems have started soon after.

Any suggestions before I start throwing cash at it ?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 PM
have you checked the fluid level/condition? is it dark in color? does it smell burnt? Do you have a flashing OD light?

nothing wrong with using 4x4 in OD. as long as the roads are suitable for 4x4(snowy,icy) to prevent t-case/diff damage.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
have you checked the fluid level/condition? is it dark in color? does it smell burnt? Do you have a flashing OD light?

nothing wrong with using 4x4 in OD. as long as the roads are suitable for 4x4(snowy,icy) to prevent t-case/diff damage.

fluid level is fine .. an no flashing OD light .. when I turn it off I get the OFF light on the shifter .. I don't recall the fluid being dark or burnt .. ill double check in the morning though.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
This may sound stupid, but...

Is this a problem that you obviously and immediately felt it doing and knew that it was definitely different? Or, is this a problem that you noticed while wondering if you diud something that messed something up?

Also, when you say that the rpms go up and the transmission doesn't seem to engage for a few seconds, is the engagement excessive or does it just feel like it slips into a positive connection?

Darrin

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
The fluid is not dark .. its not new and fresh eather .. and it does not smell burnt

Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Is this a problem that you obviously and immediately felt it doing and knew that it was definitely different? Or, is this a problem that you noticed while wondering if you diud something that messed something up?
This has been a growing problem that seems to be getting worse.

Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Also, when you say that the rpms go up and the transmission doesn't seem to engage for a few seconds, is the engagement excessive or does it just feel like it slips into a positive connection?
I do not understand your question.

I have taken it to the local transmission shop today, they say it needs rebuilt and will cost $1800-$2000 .. this will include the transfer case and a new torque converter.

I tend to agree with the shop .. what was happening with just the over drive is getting worse and happening even when over drive is off.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
If it makes you feel better, I am having the same problem on my 06. Difference, I have let it go a little longer, and yesterday it barely got me home from work. It goes to the shop tomorrow.

Quick Reply: OverDrive Does not downshift or slips