torque converter locking and unlocking on highway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver FX4
I would return your truck to stock and try again. If it is gone it is related to the gryphon. Has happened to a few trucks.
I did that and its still there. I returned it to stock and removed from my truck and drove it for a day and still doin it. Damn it!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, it's def either a low grade misfire or something in the tranny then.

Are you sure the dealer checked the plugs? Do you have a 4.6 or a 5.4? Cause I mean honestly if its a 5.4 3v I doubt they would risk it lol... aren't those the ones breaking in half all the time?

Other than a misfire, the only other things that I can think of being wrong are either the TCC solenoid like in my original post or the actual Torque Converter.

- Erik

Old 10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by scruffy
Well, it's def either a low grade misfire or something in the tranny then.

Are you sure the dealer checked the plugs? Do you have a 4.6 or a 5.4? Cause I mean honestly if its a 5.4 3v I doubt they would risk it lol... aren't those the ones breaking in half all the time?

Other than a misfire, the only other things that I can think of being wrong are either the TCC solenoid like in my original post or the actual Torque Converter.

- Erik
I specifically asked about the plugs and they said they were fine. It the 5.4L.
Im gonna take it back to the tranny shop and have them drive it.

Thanks man!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey SIK-06, did you resolve this issue yet? My 05 FX4 is doing very similar at slow acceleration dropping from 2nd to 3rd at slow speeds and before dropping alot of money into rebuilt trans Advance Auto tech told me to start with replacing this solenoid controlling torque converter by getting part from Ford. Just wondered if this fixed your problem as of yet. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I am having the same issue. We had a new engine dropped into the truck in April 2009 in May it started this shuddering. It was only occasionally and it has been getting worse. Our mechanic told us it was the torque converter.

QUESTION: We have purchased the torque converter and now we are going to replace it...what tools do we need to complete the job?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 AM
My local tranny guy said it the TC relearing its self. It happens because the engine is creating too much power for the tranny to shift so its basically like the tc acting like a governer to slow the motor down so it can shift. it makes sense but doesnt seem normal to me. i did notice when i change my program level it does it alot at first then stops, so the relearing its self makes sense.

But yes mine is still doin it here and there.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by SIK-06
My local tranny guy said it the TC relearing its self. It happens because the engine is creating too much power for the tranny to shift so its basically like the tc acting like a governer to slow the motor down so it can shift. it makes sense but doesnt seem normal to me. i did notice when i change my program level it does it alot at first then stops, so the relearing its self makes sense.

But yes mine is still doin it here and there.
This honestly doesnt make sense to me. I am having this exact issue with my truck. My truck is bone STOCK. Mind you i have an 02 5.4 2v. To me it also feels like the torque converter cant figure out if it needs to be in lock up or not. It only happens when its in OD Under ligtht throttle. If u nail it the transmission will shift into 3rd just fine. Please someone help us out here! I dont have the money to throw at a shop to look at this. I am competent enough to do the work myself just dont wanna keep throwing parts at it.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Update: We haven't replaced the TC yet. We did change the transmission fluid and filter. It did not help at all...The problem is still there. It is gradually getting worse.

Sometimes when we are driving to get on the highway and the person in front slows down really quickly and we go to swerve around them and basically hit the gas to speed up and get up to the speed of the highway the whole truck stutters..and then the check engine light starts to flash and then it is almost like the transmission is groggy...then once you let off the gas and slow down youll feel it kick and then the check engine light goes off and everything is back to normal.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Plugs and/or cops, not tranny. A flashing CEL is random misfire. Check for codes.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Plugs and/or cops, not tranny. A flashing CEL is random misfire. Check for codes.
I agree Misfire concern with the flashing MIL, also do a trans Flush not just a drain and fill. It is possible the TC solnoid could be bad but also the Torque Converter check ball in the valve body could be bad they wear on one side, causing problems at different times. Ask the dealer or shop to check MODE 6 DATA It will show the misfires before the codes are set if they happend.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone ever figure this out? my truck is really starting to do it alot worse!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by scruffy
The solenoid is called the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid. It's there to lock and unlock the TC. Like I said if this is your prob, its right on the valve body when u take off the pan. So its easy enough to swap out.

The TCC is the dark round object above the pink paint. When you take off the pan its easy enough to locate really.

I would take it to another tranny shop for more opinions though, instead of just throwing parts at it. Maybe they can confirm what problem you're having through tranny codes. Swapping the TCC is easy enough, but you would need a new one and new fluid.

- Erik
i've just done a complete tranny fluid change (pan and TC) and its better but still there. should i do this next???

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
I've had the same problem. I'm not too educated in the tranny category thoguh so I'm not sure why I'm typing on here haha. But I have an edge evo on my '05. My truck did cause a cyl 5 missfire, according to the edge. My engine light came on and my O/D Off light came on. this has happened twice. My chip also diagnosed 2 codes:P0740 and P0743. According to "Jack&Janet" on here, those refer to the torque converter electrical and the torque converter clutch. His thinking is that there is something electrically wrong with the electrical which would be a "control" problem. Short circuit or something like that. He also said that the Cyl 5 missfire should have nothing to do with the torque converter, that is more towards my lean running engine cuz its an '05 and I have a CAI with the edge on it causing it to run lean. I just saw yall mentioning the missfire so thought I'd mention that. IDK if this helps yall out any. I'm just basically saying what he said. I'm plannin on getting it fixed soon, and if I get it fixed and it's ok afterwards, i'll tell you what the problem was.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
I think thats the longest reply I've posted onhere haha

Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by boberto503
I've had the same problem. I'm not too educated in the tranny category thoguh so I'm not sure why I'm typing on here haha. But I have an edge evo on my '05. My truck did cause a cyl 5 missfire, according to the edge. My engine light came on and my O/D Off light came on. this has happened twice. My chip also diagnosed 2 codes:P0740 and P0743. According to "Jack&Janet" on here, those refer to the torque converter electrical and the torque converter clutch. His thinking is that there is something electrically wrong with the electrical which would be a "control" problem. Short circuit or something like that. He also said that the Cyl 5 missfire should have nothing to do with the torque converter, that is more towards my lean running engine cuz its an '05 and I have a CAI with the edge on it causing it to run lean. I just saw yall mentioning the missfire so thought I'd mention that. IDK if this helps yall out any. I'm just basically saying what he said. I'm plannin on getting it fixed soon, and if I get it fixed and it's ok afterwards, i'll tell you what the problem was.
Thanks for the info. The misfire doesnt have anything to do with the TC but rather the sympoms of the "shudder." Did you get the misfire taken care of? I just ran another Diagnostics with the edge/gryphon and it states NO problem codes.

Quick Reply: torque converter locking and unlocking on highway